Tuesday, February 08, 2005

And "Comic Book Guy's" name is...

...Jeff Albertson.

Hmmmm...I don't seem to have any inspiration today. I'll just write about some rather random stuff.

So yesterday (Sunday) we had our Andiamo Christmas Party. Yeah, that's right...Christmas. The holiday party is usually a week or two after Christmas, but it was delayed quite a bit this year (it's impossible to have employee Christmas parties during the holiday season when you're in the service industry). This year's party also happened to fall on Superbowl Sunday. Ouch. Usually the party is pretty insane, but I'm afraid the Superbowl took a toll on this year's attendance. Don't get me wrong, there were still about 300 people. The usual draw is usually at least 600 or so. I think that there are now 9 locations and this is a party for everyone so it's quite a mix. If you know anything about restaurant workers it's that there the biggest drinkers and partiers on the planet. Imagine hundreds of them with an open bar. Shitty free wine and draft beer are not the greatest draw, but it's still free. The party was pretty lame in actuality. They took a vote of who wanted to watch the game on a GIANT screen with the sound on, or to watch the game but have the DJ playing music. The sports fans won. Damn. The DJ played during some commercials and half-time. I really didn't give a crap about the game, but I was hoping to catch some of the commercials. The party also usually starts at 6:00PM, but it started at 4:00PM this year. 4:00PM? WTF? I guess they were trying to clear us out early this year. It worked. Most of the people fled after the last raffle drawing during half-time (including myself). Also because the closed the bar at half-time. WTF?!?!? Luckily one of my amazing coworkers was thoughtful enough to bring a fifth of Jagermeister. It was gone in 5 minutes. The Grand Prize in the raffle was an all expenses paid trip to Vegas. My ticket # was 466225. The winning ticket # was 466223. Damn! Last year I took almost two rolls worth of pictures. Dirty, racy, blackmailing pictures. This year I had to struggle to find 10 things to take pictures of. It'll probably be a while before I get the film developed as I still have 14 more exposures. Lame, lame, lame. Next year's party better not fall on Superbowl Sunday.

I got home from the party before the Superbowl ended and I was able to watch The Simpsons and the new American Dad. They finally released the name of "Comic Book Guy" after all these years...Jeff Albertson. I'll still call him "Comic Book Guy". American Dad was no Family Guy, but it did have a few good laughs (mostly aimed at the current administration and red-staters).

I was flipping through channels and caught something on E that my knitting friends would want to know about. I'm sure they already know about Knitty Gritty on the DIY Network. It's a show about knitting. I don't get DIY, so I guess I'm screwed. Enjoy it ladies! You know who I'm talking about.

I just got the new (March) Food and Wine magazine today and boy was that exciting! Turns out that two chefs that I've recently mentioned in my blog are both featured with full articles. Outstanding. There's a great article on Grant Achatz and his new restaurant Alinea in Chicago. It's not even open yet, but it's already being touted as America's best new restaurant. Rightfully so with his mind-blowing talent. The guy is crazy talented and unbelievably creative and his food has all the subtlety of Tom Arnold on cocaine.

There's also an article on Chef Bill Granger from Australia. He's the owner of Bill's Cafe in Sydney where I had the world's greatest scrambled eggs. There's a neat article and it goes on to say how he could become a big influence on this country's cuisine. I hope so. He's released his first American cookbook. I must get it forthwith. His previous cookbooks are not available in the U.S. I ordered Bill's Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner from Amazon.com (special order) and it took about 7 or 8 months, but it was worth the wait. I should have bought it at the restaurant while I was there. Best of luck to both of these amazingly talented chefs.

Random poll- Who would win in a prison fight? Martha Stewart or Michael Jackson?
(Keep in mind that Michael's got the moves, but Martha's got the Tiffany shiv and matching shiv cozy. But who's got Michael's nose?) Please comment to cast your vote.

Today's wine recommendation- 2002 Foris Rogue Valley Pinot Gris $15.99
This awesome white from southern Oregon is quite a steal. The winery is located in Cave Junction (not far from Grant's Pass and Medford). I used to go camping and white-water rafting in the area when I lived in Oregon. It's a much drier and warmer region than the Willamette Valley in the north. Although it comes from warmer environs, it still possesses the qualities of a fine Willamette Valley or Alsatian Pinot Gris. It has delightful notes of pear, melon, citrus, and wet stone on the nose and clean and focused notes of pear, lemon, honeydew, and mineral on the palate. Great stuff! Try with potato and horseradish encrusted salmon, choucroute garni, or roast turkey.

Until the next bottle...
Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Only regular cable for me, so no DIY. Ah well, do I need to watch a show about knitting???

And I'd say Martha Stewart would win in a prison bitchslap fight with Jacko. She seems like a much harder person whereas I think I could take Michael Jackson to the mat easily.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home