Sunday, November 07, 2004

Yasser Arafat is...alive (Part Doux)-Top 10 Movie Soundtracks

So I wrote this pretty long, pretty kick-ass post yesterday, but my computer crapped out when I tried to publish it. I'm too lazy to re-create it, but some of the highlights included Mr. Arafat still being in a coma and a "where are they now?" segment of the cast of Life Goes On . Has anyone seen Patti Lupone? This is going to be a short one. I was just listening to the Lost in Translation soundtrack and I thought I'd like to share with you my top 10 favorite movie soundtracks off the top of my head (in random order):

  1. Basquiat
  2. A Clockwork Orange
  3. To Live
  4. Kids
  5. Lost In Translation
  6. To Have and To Hold
  7. Wings of Desire
  8. Until the End of the World
  9. Immortal Beloved
  10. Head
Basquiat is probably my favorite. It's a beautifully directed film (Julian Schnabel) and the soundtrack fits it perfectly. The song that sets it off is "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" by Them ( Van Morrison). This, in my humble opinion, is one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded. It's a Dylan tune that's been covered by many (check out the 13th Floor Elevators version), but this version by Van Morrison is eerily beautiful. Words really can't describe it. Check it out for yourself. Make sure to see Basquiat if you're in the mood for a good cry. Jeffrey Wright's portrayal of Jean Michelle Basquiat is utterly brilliant. Jeffrey Wright, as far as I'm concerned is one of the two most talented actors in the business. You may recognize him from Angels in America. He also did a great portrayal of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in an HBO film a few years ago. He's done lots of stuff on Broadway as well. Jeffrey Wright is pure genius. I'm also a big fan of a lesser known Aussie actor (lesser known in the states) by the name of Noah Taylor. He's been in The Year my Voice Broke, Flirting, Nostradamus Kid, Shine, Max, Almost Famous, and Vanilla Sky (which I've actually never seen). He's scarily talented. I'll get into my favorite actresses in a future post. I like lists, so I may be posting a bunch in the future.
Today's wine recommendation: 2002 Glaymond Landrace $47.99
This bombastic blend of 70% Shiraz and 30% Mataro (Mourvedre) is a freakin' beast. It's black as night and has blackberry, raspberry, melted liquorice, criosote, leather, and vanilla on the nose. It has tons of black fruit on the palate as well as notes of cola, liquorice, mint, and vanillin. The finish is almost endless. It weighs in at a whopping 16.4% alcohol, but shows no heat or alcohol on the finish. All of the elements are beautifully integrated. Chris Ringland is the winemaking genius behind this wine. Chris Ringland also makes Rockford and Three Rivers (Australia's first $500.00 wine). I first tasted this wine at a trade tasting for work a few months ago with my trusty vinuous compatriot D. We both fell in love with it. I ordered some immediately. We sold out. We ordered some more. We sold out. We ordered some more. Robert Parker then decided to give it a 96 point rating. I immediately ordered the balance of what the distributor had left. As far as I know we got the only 6 cases of Landrace in Michigan. Amazing stuff from the Barossa Valley in the beautiful state of South Australia. Landrace is not for the faint of heart (no Pinot drinkers!). This stuff is mindblowing!!!

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home