Monday, June 27, 2005

Managing my moist manliness, fireflys, blackouts, La Shish, and fudgy goodness.

Oy vay Maria! It's hot! It's damn hot! It's humid! It's nasty! It's been a rough week as the weather has been wreaking havoc on my body and soul. Weather like this, as far as I can imagine, belongs only in the Mississippi Delta or the Amazon. It was more hot and moist than a frugs bum in a Florida swamp in the middle of August. The weather has zapped my energy and I've been trying to manage my moist manliness. A tough chore, indeed.

Last Wednesday was the memorial service for my friend's mother. Although such occasions are never enjoyable by any stretch of the imagination, it was as warm and comforting as you could hope it to be. I never met my friend's mother, as is the case with many of my friends, but she must've been a fantastic person. Her son's demeanor is a testament to her as he's probably the nicest guy on the planet. A large contingency of friends showed up to support our friend. The service was nice and familial. I held up pretty well, but the bagpiper playing "Amazing Grace" was like a punch in the stomach. I love bagpipes (you either love them or hate them), but they're an instrument sure to conjure up emotion...especially when it's "Amazing Grace". A large number of us got together at our friends' house for food and camaraderie. I couldn't possibly imagine what it would be like to lose my mother. My heartfelt condolences go out to my friend.

Thursday royally sucked! I had to work 14 hours. I went in at 7:00Am and left at 9:00PM. I had to work on a shitty quartery project (a wine club). It really, really, really sucked. I also went to bed late due to the memorial service/dinner. It was actually early for me, but I had intended on going to bed earlier.

Friday at the restaurant was pretty insane. We got slammed for about an hour and a half. Nuts!

I only had to work 5 hours on Saturday (went in late) because I was scheduled to do mandatory inventory on Sunday. I got home around 9:30PM and the power went out at about 9:45PM. I got the candles lit inside and went outside on the front porch with Huey (the landlords were at a concert). It was still hot and nasty, but there was a slight breeze to help alleviate the swampy dampness. Although the lights were out in the neighborhood it was still obvious what a problem there is with light pollution in the area. It was night, but I could still see. Looking into the woods across the street is was dark and there was a cacophony of humming mosquitos and clicking bugs and the fireflys were weaving a Thomas Kinkaidian tapestry like a Lite Brite. Apparently the light projected from a firefly's ass comes from a chemical reaction from mixing bodily fluids...that doesn't sound very romantic, but I guess it's more likely than a bunch of microscopic electrical engineers living in a firefly's ass. That was pretty cool until the mosquitos decided to ravage my body. I want to be ravaged...but not by mosquitos.

The power came back on a couple of hours later. I got online and was posting to this blog when the power went out (I was about 7/8 of the way through). That sucked! And now I can't get online (wireless) at home. Hopefully my landlords will just have to reset their modem/server/whatever thingy. I hope they didn't get surge.

I ran errands yesterday planning my day around going in to work at 5:30 for inventory. I got home from errands and my roommate told me that inventory was canceled. That was cool! But I would have planned my day differently had I known. I was, luckily, able to make it to my friend Brian's 35th b-day dinner at La Shish. Over 20 people showed up and a good time was had by all. Some of us went to Brian's afterward for talk, laughs, ghosts, and fudge.

Really, really, really, really, really looking forward to vacation...I bought a ton of mosquito repellent so I'm good to go...



Post a Comment

<< Home