Monday, October 09, 2006

Weekends and reminiscences...

I was listening to the radio earlier today and there was a guy talking about "rankism" as opposed to sexism, racism, etc. He's apparently written a book on the subject and it did sound pretty interesting. One of the scary things that he theorized is that employees who work for employers/bosses that yell, humiliate, aren't respectful, are negative, or are unecessarily mean will have years taken off their life. He says that working in such an environment is the physiological equivalent of smoking 3 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day. Guess I won't be living very long...

I taped the season premiere of Battlestar Galactica while I was working at the restaraunt on Friday. I anxiously rewound the tape when I got home, pressed play and sat mesmerized for two hours. The season premiere was bloody flippin' unbelievable. It really is one of the best written shows on TV...even the critics say so. That is a smart flippin' show. It's amazing how the plot is mirroring what's going on in the world right now, but more amazing is the fact that the government hasn't had it taken off the air. Maybe the administration doesn't understand symbolism??? Watch it!

Tonight I went with some friends to see The Departed, the new Scorsese film. It was pretty good. It's not Scorsese's best work, but still pretty good. The cast is quite impressive with Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Alec Baldwin, Mark Wahlberg, and Martin Sheen. Kevin Corrigan had a small, but good part. Where's he been? He was poised to be the king of indie film a while ago and sort of disappeared. I'm sure he hasn't disappeared. The films he's been doing must be too indie even for me. Very impressive in the film as a thug was Ray Winstone. He played the sheriff in the Nick Cave-penned The Proposition. He's a bloody brilliant actor. He's a name to watch! I normally despise Leonardo DiCaprio, but I didn't mind him so much in this. Matt Damon did a great job. A good performance from Jack Nicholson, but not his best. He did have a few highlights that almost made fun of himself though. It's worth watching if you have 2 1/2 hours to spare. Be warned that it's VERY violent and bloody!

Oh yeah...the Detroit Tigers beat the New York f'in Yankees yesterday. They're going on to play the Oakland A's. Go Tigers!

Let's all hope that Hastert goes down and Foley goes down even further!

North Korea's first (supposed) nuclear weapons test was successful. Be afraid! Be very afraid! With the over $400 billion going to help fund the Iraq effort I hope there are some lawn darts and Nerf balls left to throw at North Korea if they decide to attack our undereducated, unemployed asses. That Kim Jong Il is kwaaaaazzzy!

It's been about a year since I was in Switzerland. I had such a wonderful time. I really am missing my family and the amazing sights that one of the world's most beautiful countries has to offer. It was 3 years ago that I was in Australia too. I'm ALWAYS thinking about that. It's very dear to my heart. This October I'm at home...in Michigan...working. Ouch!

I've heard people say that northern Michigan is the most beautiful place on earth. While I agree that northern Michigan is certainly pretty, I'd have to disagree with these people. These people obviously have never been anywhere. Probably never even left the state. I'm a proud Michigander, but be realistic. I've been very lucky to have grown up in the Pacific Northwest and to have traveled through central Europe and Australia...and there's still a ton that I haven't seen and probably never will see. I've seen some jaw-droppingly stunning things in my short life. I've seen sunset in Coonawarra, the Swiss Alps, a stormy Pacific Ocean on an Oregon beach, lightning over Diamond Lake with a view of Mt. Thielsen, the California redwoods, rock formations in Utah, antelope in Wyoming, kangaroos in the Outback, Sydney Harbor Bridge and the Opera House from a boat in Sydney Harbor at sunset, the Rockies, Roman ruins in Germany... It's a big world and northern Michigan is just an insignificant speck. Pretty, but not profound. I've been nostalgic lately and I've been reminiscing quite a bit about all of the wonderful places I've been and lived. You'll have to excuse me. There is a reason that my blog is named as such...the sublime and majestic chorus of the Australian magpies (my favorite), galahs, cockatoos, and ravens beckons me.
(Listen to magpie group, magpie singular, galah, cockatoo, and raven.)

Hope you had a nice weekend!

ITMFA!

Random poll- What's your favorite Nicholson role?

Random poll #2- Where would your rather be RIGHT NOW? (Any place in the world)

Random poll #3- Where is the most beautiful place you've ever been (or where have you had the most beautiful experience with nature)?

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

What's your favorite Nicholson role? - I'm not a huge Nicholson fan, but I'd have to say Chinatown.

Where would your rather be RIGHT NOW? (Any place in the world) - I'm easy, I just want to be outside enjoying this fabulous, not going to last, October weather.

Where is the most beautiful place you've ever been (or where have you had the most beautiful experience with nature)? - Utah, although the Giza Plateau had its own unique historical beauty, same with Teotihuacan.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home