Sunday, May 29, 2005

Deaf or Belgian???

I was at work last night when a customer asked me for some assistance. His speech sounded a little slurred. At first I thought that either he perhaps had had a stroke or was possibly even drunk. When a few more words came out of his mouth I thought that perhaps he was hard of hearing or possibly even deaf. He never motioned to his ears that he could not hear and he seemed to understand me just fine (I was being particularly careful to annunciate clearly if he was perhaps a lip-reader). He wasn't deaf...he wasn't hard of hearing...he didn't have a stroke. I think that I'm pretty good at detecting specific accents, but apparently I have an issue with Flemish. The guy was Belgian. Belgians talk funny. (Insert Jean-Claude Van Assclown joke here...)

I just finished making a couple salads to bring to a BBQ. One is a southwestern style salad with jicama, red onion, corn, red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper, cilantro, jalapeno, habanero, lime juice, Tupelo honey, chipotle, adobo, macadamia nut oil, and S&P. The other has shaved fennel, blood orange segments (supremed), red onion, lemon juice, EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), S&P, and shaved Pecorino cheese. I also made a batch of the same Triple-Chocolate Fudge Brownies that I made the other day.

I went to Kroger last night because I knew that Farmer Jack didn't have any fennel bulbs and I've gotten them at Kroger before. Kroger didn't have any fennel bulbs, blood oranges, jicama, or pomegranates. Farmer Jack didn't either, but I know I've seen pomegranates there before. May I just tell you that I HATE KROGER! The place is a mess and the produce looks like shit. I went to Farmer Jack afterward and they didn't have anything I needed. I went to Westborn Fruit Market this morning and they did have my blood oranges, fennel, and jicama...but no pomegranates. I needed about a cup of fresh pomegranate seeds for the fennel salad (a Mario Batali recipe), but I had to do without. I just made up the jicama salad on the fly.

So...to recap...
Belgians talk funny and Kroger sucks!

Off to my BBQ with another tomorrow...

Cheers,
Jason

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I learned my lesson about Kroger's produce one day when I was too lazy to go to the Dearborn Farm Market. I spent big bucks on red bell peppers already wrapped two to a styrofoam plate and got home to find that they were mostly bad. And I was at Westborn once and they had pomegranates for $3.89 apiece. I then went to the DFM and they had them for 89 cents apiece.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Yeah, and I'm not sure this is pomegranate season, actually....

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home