Thursday, June 16, 2005

Digital cameras, Julia Child, and zucchini farming- The Holy Trinity

I got my digital camera a couple of days ago and I finally got a chance to try downloading some pics to my computer. The pictures in the posts below were taken in the backyard garden. I just signed up for a Flickr account and I also have a Hello account. I'll have to play around and decide which one I want to use (or both) for blog posting. They're both pretty easy. We'll see. Anyway, I'm glad to have a digital camera. I got a pretty good one, but not one of those way expensive SLR jobbies. I ordered everything through Dell. I've gotten everything delivered except for my 512MB Flash card. Still waiting for the smallest thing. Although I love film cameras, I think this will be really cool now that I have a new computer and a blog and such. Too bad my technical skills are non-existent. I can't wait to take lots of vacation pictures. I got the camera largely because of my hopeful trip to Switzerland in the fall. We'll see...we'll see. I probably won't be posting many pics of people as I need permission and such. I won't be mosting many pictures of me as that's not something the world needs to see.

There was a great American Masters special tonight on PBS on Julia Child. As you may know Julia Child is one of my favorite people of all time. People remember where they were when Kennedy was killed. I remember when I heard that Julia Child had passed away. I was driving to a yarn shop in Plymouth to get a gift certificate for a friend. I was listening to WDET/NPR and heard the sad news. I shed more than a tear. She lived a long and fascinating life. I have nothing but the utmost respect for her. She was a true trailblazer and one of the most approachable celebrities ever. Everyone felt a degree of comfort with her as she was perceived as human...as humans make mistakes. I miss Julia! One of my regrets is that I never had a chance to meet her. I hope to someday meet Jacques Pepin, but I'm not sure if that will ever happen. Julia and Jacques were good friends. I wish I could've spent an afternoon with them in the kitchen. That would've been something to remember. Julia Child rocks harder than Ronnie James Dio!

I have to interrupt this post to tell you a joke that I just heard on Conan O'Brien (the TV is on behind me).
"When Michael Jackson heard that the show was 12 years old he said he had to do it"
Nice!

When I got home from work I noticed that the zucchini in the backyard were coming along nicely. There are already a few small zucchini forming and quite a few blossoms. The zucchini in our yard are isolated from everything else and caged in with chicken wire. If any of you have ever grown zucchini you'll know why. It's awesome at first, but eventually you just don't want any more zucchini. This is when you resort to leaving it on peoples' doorstops. Ring the bell and bolt, or just drop it off for them to discover in the morning. Zucchini bread is good the first few times, but... Actually the blossoms are the best part. Dredge them lightly in flour or corn starch and saute them. Delicious! They're also great stuffed or in risotto! I had a thought about zucchini. I do not in any way mean to belittle or besmirch zucchini farmers, but that's got to be the easiest job in the world. I respect the hell out of the farmers of the world for all the hard work and long hours they put in in order to put food on our table while making very little money, but... As may know zucchini will grow and thrive anywhere. Anyone can grow zucchini. I guess the trick is to pick them before they get too big and "woody". I guess the zucchini farmer does have to live with the fear that the crop may get out of hand and suffocate the farm house and its inhabitants. What's summer without overgrown zucchini plants in your backyard. Bring on the ratatouille!

In other news...

Apparently if I ever get in trouble with the law I need to get a really expensive lawyer with a bad haircut...
Insert your own Michael Jackson joke here...

Reno 911 is back...and that's a very good thing.

The weather has finally cooled off a bit...it's about damn time!

Work...still sucking.

I saw The Motorcyle Diaries the other night. Great movie! It really gives an insight into the early life of Ernesto Guevara (Che) and where some of his idealism and humanism comes from. Beautifully shot, smart, and touching...just a wonderful film.

I guess the AFI is releasing the Top 100 movie quotes next week...I can think of quite a few that should be on there, but what's number one???

"Here's looking at you, kid."
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
"Are you talking to me?"
"May the force be with you."
"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"
"ET phone home."
"Bond. James Bond."
"Show me the money!"
"You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"

These are all possibilities...

and the line I think should be number one, but probably won't make the list...

"I gave her my heart, and she gave me a pen." -Lloyd Dobler (Say Anything)

...or just about any line from The Princess Bride.

Random poll- What do you think will be the AFI number one movie quote of all time?

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

"Do you feel lucky, punk? Do you?" or "Make my day."

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home