Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I did not know that...

I was watching "I Love the 80's 3-D" tonight on VH1 and learned something new...23 years later. I did not know that the song "Rosanna" by Toto was about Rosanna Arquette. I did not know that...

Maybe I led a sheltered life, but I never heard of Freakie Freezies gloves until tonight's episode on 1982 (or was it 1983?). They say that they were HUGE, but I never heard of them at all. Maybe the commercials didn't air in Oregon, because it didn't snow much in the Willamette Valley in the winter. I watched a lot of TV in the 80's so I'm sure I would have remembered. I remembered the Monchichi song from the commercials...

I was reading some scary shit in the new Rolling Stone. Apparently Harriet Miers is not only an evangelical Christian, but a fundamentalist that belongs to a church that preaches "biblical inerrancy" - the belief that every word of the Bible is literally accurate. Valley View Christian church in Dallas, Ms. Miers' church, feels that abortion and homosexualiaty are at the center of a "vortex of evil". (Here's a link to the church.) She spent 7 years on the missions board. Their church supports missionary work in countries where proselytizing is illegal (ie. Afghanistan and Uzbekistan) and prides itself in its work among "Hindu extremists". If she's confirmed she'll be the first full-blown fundamentalist Christian in American history to sit on the Supreme Court. She's never been a judge either. Scared yet???

Here's a link to a interesting things also found in the new Rolling Stone. "Taking Stock" and "Saving Fluffy" are especially interesting. Find out how much money Dick Cheney is making off of Halliburton. Cheney insists he has "no financial in Halliburton of any kind."

There's also a very interesting article on the "intelligent design" debate in a Pennsylvania court. Here's the link, again, to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's pretty damn funny, but very clever at the same time. Definitely worth checking out.

This country is scaring the shit out of me. Thank "nameless/formless/denomonationless Deity" for "Flying Spaghetti Monsters" and the people who have the balls to write about and passionately pursue such things. I'm especially grateful to those who have the guts to fight for what should be common-sense. Religion is fine and good, but it does not belong in government or public schools...especially fundamentalism. If fundamentalism takes over we're all screwed.

On a lighter note...
VH1's Reuniting the Band is on behind me right now. It's the episode with Berlin. What a great band! I used to think that Terri Nunn was so hot. She still looks and sounds great!

Cheers,
Jason

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

You need to read the book Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity which discusses the biblical inerrancy issue. It was a fascinating book.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

On a lighter note, Berlin just released a new album this week and it includes NO MORE WORDS live from Bands Reunited.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home