Monday, May 29, 2006

My friends are funky hipsters, commitment ceremonies, Africa hot in May, and 42 funny movies...

Hey kids! I hope you all had a nice Memorial day weekend. Mine was alright. I actually had two days off in a row. Weird.

I was flipping channels yesterday when I caught Trading Spaces about 10 minutes into it. This episode actually had a couple of friends on it. I knew that they were going to be on but I didn't know it when it was going to air. I guess I found out too late, but it's going to re-run next Friday. I taped about 45 minutes of it, but I'll re-tape it next week. Luckily both teams liked the end result. The funny thing is that the cable description of the episode labels my friends as "funky hipsters". Cool. M was very animated and J was his quiet but funny self. It was really cool to see. It was cool to see a couple of friends representing the D in Austin. I look forward to taping the re-run. Good job guys!

Yesterday I attended the Downriver same-sex commitment ceremony of a couple of wonderful ladies. I've known them for about 5 years and I don't know them incredibly well, but they're really amazing people and capable drinkers. I'm honored that I was invited to the short and simple outdoor ceremony. The crowd was small but fun. Unfortunately one of them did not have family attend as she's essentially been disowned resultant of this ceremony and her life choices. Luckily friends were there to support both of them. Everything was very low-key and casual and a great time was had by all. Both of the lovely ladies wore white (C in a dress and R in pant outfit). The ceremony under the shade of the giant weeping willow was very nice. Shade was the key of the day as it was frickin' hot and humid yesterday. It was at least in the high 80's and it's still frickin' May. This is going to be a wicked hot summer. I'm not looking forward to it. It eventually cooled off a little as the sun went down, but then the bugs came out. I got my first mosquito bites in frickin' May! A fire was built in a pit and that kept away some of the bugs, but the heat of the fire just contributed the melting of my large frame. I left at about 1:30 AM as people were passing out or leaving. It was a nice day. The heat was a hindrance, but the wonderful reason for gathering made it all okay. I am so very happy for R and C. I really do hope that some day this state or this country will officially recognized same-sex unions and legalize weddings. R and C's love and commitment to each other should be an example of the perfect union and their ceremony should shine as a beacon to others in challenging and unsure waters. Their commitment is real, but it's unfortunate that local and national governments will not officially recognize their bond. I am hopeful of a future where such unions will be accepted, legal, and commonplace, but until then let's all do our part to make it so. Please support same-sex marriage and be vocal about it. There will be a day when Dubya is no longer in office and eventually the police-state administration will be at least temporarily banished. Let's do whatever we can to get them out and keep them out of office. Impeach Dubya now and let's take our country back! Bring back government for the people. Bring back government of the people. Stop discrimination and fight for tolerance. Let's make this a country to be proud of. It's going to take a lot of work so don't be afraid to get your hands a little dirty if it means a respectful and tolerant administration. Say what's on your mind even if you are a little paranoid about reprisal. Your calls are already being recorded...

Like I said earlier...it's hot! Africa hot! It's only May. Global warming is kicking our ass! And yes, Dubya is to blame actually. I wish it would snow...

Bravo is listing the 100 Funniest Movies of all time. I can't find a list of all 100 posted yet. I'll post them or a link when something is available. What are your top funniest movies? Here's a list of my top 42 in no particular order...

1) History of the World: Part I This and Caddyshack are the two most quotable movies of all time! I think it's Brooks' best, although most would disagree.
2) Caddyshack GENIUS!!!
3) Animal House "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
4) Monty Python and the Holy Grail "Oh holy hand grenade of Antioch..."
5) Vacation
6) It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Jonathan Winters, Buddy Hackett, Phil Silvers, Sid Caesar, and more all in one film? Hilarious!!!)
7) This is Spinal Tap "These go to eleven."
8) Anchorman
9) Erik the Viking
10) Blazing Saddles
11) Best in Show I love Parker Posey.
12) Waiting for Guffman I love Parker Posey.
13) Airplane! "Do you like gladiator movies son?"
14) A Fish Called Wanda K-k-k-k-ken!
15) Dr. Strangelove Classic!
16) The Pink Panther (All Pink Panther flicks with Peter Sellers qualify) Laugh so hard you get the hiccups.
17) Rushmore
18) The Music Box (Laurel and Hardy)
19) Silver Streak
20) Sleeper
21) The Jerk
22) Dogma
23) The Odd Couple
24) Some Like it Hot
25) Annie Hall
26) The Graduate
27) Fargo
28) Life of Brian
29) Annie Hall
30) Raising Arizona
31) Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
32) Young Frankenstein
33) Spaceballs
34) Fast Times at Ridgemont High Every time I hear the Cars I think of Phoebe...
35) Harold and Maude
36) Trading Places
37) Swingers
38) Shakes the Clown
39) The Princess Bride Inconceivable!
40) Revenge of the Nerds
41) Better Off Dead
42) Repo Man "Hey Archie! Let's go do some crimes."

So many funny movies, so little space. I'm sure you'll disagree with many of my choices...screw you! They're my choices. What are yours? I didn't do a lot of thinking to put this list together. These are the first 42 that came to my head. Water World, The Postman, and Battlefield Earth are funny too, but they're not supposed to be. That's why they're not on the list. I'll have to come up with a steaming pile of crap list eventually...

Last week I went to G's store and picked up a bunch o' CDs. A big ol' bunch. Lot's o' cool stuff. The newly released Johnny Cash 2-CD set "Personal File" is really great!

I'm pretty excited. The Proposition is actually going to be playing in the Detroit area. It's written by Nick Cave (my absolute fave musician) and the soundtrack is written by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. The soundtrack kicks ass. I've had it for months. It's supposed to be very good actually and stars Guy Pearce and Emily Watson among others. I can't wait to see it! I'm actually not working this Friday if anybody would like to join me at the opening...

ITMFA!

Random poll- What are the funniest movies ever?

Cheers,
Jason

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi:) I occasionally read your blog and I had to post a comment.

Everything is Illuminated is one of the funniest movies ever. Suprisingly, it's one of the saddest too. Watch it and love it.

That and My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

That's all!

ec

2:33 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Nice rant, Jason. I'd totally be up for going to see The Proposition but I'll be in Milwaukee. Can you wait until Monday or Tuesday?

You forgot Major League. I guess I can't include Speed since it wasn't meant to be a comedy, eh?

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Midnight Run
What About Bob?
Men in Black
Harold & Kumar Go To Whitecastle

-di

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also:
Groundhog Day
The Royal Tannenbaums

-di

7:28 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Emily- I haven't seen "Everything is Illuminated" or "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Some day.

Kathleen- "Major League" is pretty damn funny. I'm sure it would make my top 50 funniest. I e-mailed you about "The Proposition". I work too late Monday and Tuesday. Argh!

Anonymous- "What About Bob?" is pretty darn funny...

7:31 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Anonymous- "Royal Tannenbaums" is a comedy fave of mine, but I think "Rushmore" edges it out slightly. "Groundhog Day" is a classic too. Looks like Bill Murray owns this category...

7:33 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

My two cents:

Fletch
Major League
Strange Brew
Slap Shot
Clockwatchers
Local Hero
Gregory's Girl
Stripes
Airplane
Valley Girl
Old School
Lost in Translation(on one level)
A Christmas Story
Office Space

2:11 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Glen- Great frickin' list!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home