Sunday, June 18, 2006

So that's what a weekend is like...

Hey kids!

I actually had two days off in a row. That's really freakin' weird. I've been working 6 days a week for several years, but I'm temporarily laid-off from the restaurant for a couple of months so I've only been working 5. It's been a real treat. (I still work about 47 hours a week though.) For some reason or another I got Saturday off from the full-time job (I had to work today however). But that still means that I had two days off in a row. I had Friday and Sunday off and it was just great. Friday was full of errands but ended in fun. Apparently my regular Secretary of State office in Allen Park has closed. That really sucks! The AP office was like a little known secret. It was usually pretty quick and the service was fast and friendly. I had to resort to going to the Dearborn office and boy oh boy did that suck. The Dearborn office is SLOW!!! I'll try to find a better office. Among other errands I also got my car washed. My new car is all purty when it's shiny. I've been going to Classic Auto Wash in AP for years. Great service! It was pretty hot out so I wrapped up the errands run with a Coke Slurpee. A great reward on a hot day.

I did end up going to dinner with a good friend on Friday. I was hoping to see the Al Gore flick, but no one responded to my e-mail so I made other plans. My friend and I went to Zingermans's Roadhouse in Ann Arbor and I had one of the best meals I've had in a long time. I've been there before and really enjoyed it but this meal was just fantastic from start to end. I had a Founders Dirty Bastard on draft at the bar while my friend had a Short's Ale while we waited for our table. I started with the the soft shell crab special appetizer and it was honestly the best soft shell crab that I've ever had...

Excuse me...there's a skunk outside as I type this. EWWWW!!!

Back to the meal...
The soft shell crab was killer! They always offer chili (great!) and they also had a cream of mushroom with porcini and cremini (VERY TEMPTING!), but I opted for a cup of New England clam chowder. DAMN!!! It was quite honestly the best New England clam chowder that I've ever had! Absolutely delicious! It was the perfect balance of briny clam and cream. The top-notch applewood smoked bacon just set it off! It now replaces Mo's Seafood in Lincoln City, Oregon as the best New England clam chowder in my book. Sorry Mo's! I then went for the snapper on our server's recommendation. It was fantastic. It was a whole roasted snapper from Tobago (caught the day before). It was as moist and tender as can be. It was served with some wonderful stewed organic tomatoes and Carolina rice. Delicious! My friend got the homemade cheesesticks for her app. By homemade I mean that they made their own homemade fresh mozzarella and then lightly battered some cubes and fried them to golden perfection. Yum! All of the desserts looked fantastic, but I opted for the donut sundae. It's pretty popular and I hadn't tried it yet. Imagine the very best still-warm cider mill style donut topped with a fantastic vanilla gelato, caramel, Virginia roasted peanuts, and a cherry... Damn skippy! That was damn good! I tried my friend's Key lime pie and it was just perfect! All of that and a killer bottle of syrah made for a great evening. It was a bit of a splurge, but damn if it wasn't worth it. Go to Zingerman's Roadhouse now!!! Thanks to Debbie for great service!

Saturday started out lazy for me. I read some magazines and some of the new Anthony Bourdain book until I met some friends for dinner at another restaurant. It was passable. No Zingerman's... It was then decided that my friends all wanted to see the new shitfest starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock...
Um...yeah...not gonna do it. I decided to go see An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore by myself instead. My friends came out of the theater complaining about how bad their movie was and I was quite content with myself for making the better choice. While I've heard most of the stuff in An Inconvenient Truth before present in a different manner it was by all means an important film. I recommend that everyone in the country see it. It was presented very well even if Al Gore did uneccesarily grandstand a bit. I know that he said that he's not going to run for President again, but this film maked it look like he was posturing himself for shot. At this point it probably be the best Democratic shot. I would vote for Hillary Clinton, but I know a lot of people wouldn't simply because she rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I hope that Mr. Gore does decide to run again. His film should be required viewing for the entire voting populace. There were the requisite jabs at Dubya, but the film did concentrate on the fate of not only our country, but our planet. If we don't start taking the little steps we are going to be screwed in the next 50 years. It's already happening...

Please visit this site- www.climatecrisis.net
Do whatever it takes!

Brazil beat Australia 2-0. No surprise there, but I was really hoping for an Aussie upset. At least they made it this far. Switzerland plays Togo tomorrow. Of course I hope that Switzerland wins, but I'd really be happy for Togo too because of this story. It's great to hear stories like that. It's nice to know that good sportsmanship still exists in this day and age.

Basketball finals are on, but I'm not watching. I guess I'm pulling for Dallas.

I'm digging the new Sonic Youth album Rather Ripped.

I finally got Jesus Is Magic on DVD. Sarah Silverman is the funniest and hottest woman alive! She's so frickin' dirty...

Random poll #1- Who's your favorite basketball player of all time?
(Mine is Clyde Drexler)

Random poll #2- What's the best smell? Coffee brewing, cinnamon rolls baking, food on the grill, or bacon sizzling?
(Actually, my favorite smell is the smell of leeks sauteeing in butter. I'm a foodie. I'm a freak. Sorry.)

Random poll #3- If you had two scoops of vanilla ice cream what one topping would you most like to put on it? (You are not allowed to change ice cream flavors) Sprinkles, peanuts, hot fudge, caramel, butterscotch, whipped cream, cherries, fresh fruit, chocolate chips/shavings, or something else?

Hope you had a nice Father's Day...

ITMFA!

Cheers,
Jason

2 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

Random poll #1- Who's your favorite basketball player of all time?

Ledell Eackles of the Washington Bullets(some years back...)

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Random poll #2- What's the best smell? Coffee brewing, cinnamon rolls baking, food on the grill, or bacon sizzling?

Coffee brewing is a sinfully gorgeous smell, but since I gave up caffine (and de-caf usually tastes like ass on a hot day), I'll say that my second favorite smell is food on the grill, espcially ribs or rack of lamb. I'm huge into BBQing.

Random poll #3- If you had two scoops of vanilla ice cream what one topping would you most like to put on it?

Melted marshmallow topping. It's a beautiful thing. I want some right now.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home