Sunday, June 04, 2006

I propose you see The Proposition...

Thankfully this week has been a little lower-key. Not much to report, but I'll come up with something...

This last Friday I went to see a noon showing of The Proposition at the Maple. Of course my review may be a little biased as I'm a HUGE fan of Nick Cave. Nick Cave is not only an amazing musician, but he's quite a talented writer. He did write the novel And the Ass Saw the Angel and he's a renowned musical lyricist, but now he's written a screenplay as well. Just imagine a movie written by Nick Cave...eerily beautiful, dark, intense, violent, and thought-provoking. Just like his music. Among others it stars Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Danny Huston, Emily Watson, and John Hurt. I've never seen John Hurt as such an intense and grizzled character. Guy Pearce did an amazing job, but Ray Winstone really stood out as the police captain. I don't know much about Danny Huston, but damn he's one to watch for. It takes place in 1880's rural outback Australia. It's a dangerous, desolate, and God-forsaken ugly beauty of a place. The photography is absolutely beautiful. At times it's surreal, but the environment actually looks that way. I won't give a plot summary (click the link), but I will say that's it's brutal, intense, and beautiful. The soundtrack (by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis) is eery and beautifully matches the harsh outback environment and the story. I guess my warning is that this film is very realistic. It portrays the outback as a brutal shithole of a place...especially in the 1880's. I was one of about 10 people in the theater at the noon showing (the first showing in Michigan). I hope that it sticks around a while as I'll probably see it again. Great, great frickin' movie! It's already gotten some very good press. Let's just hope that it wins some deserved awards. As far as I'm concerned Nick Cave never disappoints.

Nick Cave. Coolest former heroin addict ever? Probably...

I've been temporarily laid-off from the restaurant so I've got my Friday evenings off for a while. It's kind of odd. I've been working Friday nights for pretty much the last 15 years. I'll miss the little bit of money, but I'll enjoy the temporary Friday night freedom. I was actually able to hang out with friends at BST's house on Friday. It was lots of fun as always to hang out with my college friends. Something I don't get to do as often as I should/want. Lots of laughs as always...

Today I finally ate at Slow's in Detroit. It's a newer hipster BBQ joint near the REAL Tiger Stadium. It was pretty good. There was a long wait, but there was a very impressive beer list to satiate me. By the time we got a table they were out of about half the stuff on the menu (really!). My first choice was the brisket, but they were out of so I got the North Carolina style pulled pork. Tasty! I got black eyed peas and mac and cheese for my sides. Double tasty! The chili wasn't too spicy but had a great, rich, homeade flavor. I tried a neat appetizer of split pea and okra fritters. Tasty again! I asked about dessert...but they were all sold out. I'll try to go again when they have more stuff in the kitchen. Good BBQ is as the name implies...slow. Their BBQ is wood smoked. I'll just try not to go after a Tiger game again. I'm still dying to get to Vicente's downtown...

Did you hear about the Pope? He's got the bird flu.

He got it from a Cardinal...

Sorry for that one...

Sorry for the boring post too...

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I don't know, I think I'd vote for Iggy as coolest former heroin addict (assuming he's clean), but I think it could actually be a tie. They're both pretty freaking cool.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home