Friday, November 17, 2006

A downer...

Hey kids!

I'm really not sure what to post about. All I've essentially been doing is working. And that's no fun. I can't believe that Thanksgiving is next week already. Yesterday was the release of Beaujolais Nouveau and I must say that sales and interest are the lightest I've ever seen. I really couldn't care less as I'd never drink that crap myself.

I'm still trying to recover from the Democratic majority victory in Congress. Let's hope things change quickly.

I've been worried about a regular reader and commenter. Some time ago she was to have a surgical procedure to help eliminate her epilepsy. In her last post she stated that she would probably be back to posting within a few weeks. Not only has she not posted in some time the link to her blog no longer exists. I'm very worried and I wish the very, very best to my blog-friend from Louisiana. I hope that you are well and on the road to full recovery.

I received a letter this week from a friend of mine...who is in jail. This friend of mine is completely innocent. He's not in for long as he settled. I won't go into detail here, but he is essentially in jail because of a certain asshole who was running for a certain office in a certain state that looks like a mitten. This certain asshole lost said election recently. My friend was made to look like evil incarnate so that certain asshole would have a high visibility case in the press and he would look like a non-asshole. Certain protective laws prohibited my friend from getting a fair trial. My friend's life has been absolutely ruined for a certain asshole's political gain. Although he is in jail for a relatively short time, his life is changed than more than most people in a similar situation. His life is ruined. He has a wife and a young, beautiful child. He settled and decided to do a short sentence rather than risk a 20% chance of losing and not being able to see his child for 20 years. He just couldn't risk it although he is absolutely innocent. He wants to be there for his child growing up. Even if he was found innocent his life still would have been ruined as he would not be able to practice in his profession any longer. He's also spent a ton of money on legal fees and bail and such. There is an innocent man in jail for something that he did not do. He's certainly not the only one. He share's an 8-person cell with 9 other guys. He doesn't have much to talk to them about. He says there's way too much TV available, the books suck, and there's nothing to do. He said that it may not be as rough as you would expect, but the boredom is unbearable. He's only allowed to leave the cell for one hour a day if at all and they are woken up at 4:00 AM for breakfast. The food sucks too. He said that he is coping as best as he can with a really bad situation, but he misses his wife and child dearly. He said that that is torturous. I miss my friend dearly. I see his wife and child occasionally. It is extremely difficult for them, but they are coping as well as they can in such a shitty situation. It is a tragic, tragic situation. I was invited to a beautiful dinner at this friend's house a week before he had to turn himself in. Although we laughed, talked, drank great wine, and enjoyed wonderful food, there was a dark cloud in the room. I'm glad that we had that moment and I look forward to seeing him again soon, but I'm so torn up about the whole shady situation. The certain asshole who lost his election is remaining in his already powerful post. He didn't even have to wrongfully vilify my friend because he lost the election anyway. How many lives has this guy wrongfully ruined for political posturing? I'm scared to know. There are certain loopholes in the legal system that need to be addressed. And there are certain asshole officials that need to have their own lives ruined...

I wish my friend the very best and I'll try to help him as much as I can when he is free to start his life over. I'm proud to be his friend and I'll be proud to remian his friend. He's a wonderful man and has wonderful family. He is very strong to face such a situation and I admire him for that. I could never do it. Peace.

ITMFA!

Cheers,
Jason

2 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

I was also wondering about the person from Louisiana who was facing the surgery...I hope everything came out OK.

As for your friend who is in jail, may nothing but good things come his way from this point forward!

Tony

9:55 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I don't know the Louisiana person, but I hope she's okay. And your friend in jail? I hope that when he gets out, he falls into an embarrassment of riches and the evil person falls into a pile of shit (literally or not).

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home