Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I hear three horsemen coming...

Apparently there have been record-setting large swarms of locusts in the Canary Islands, Africa, Mexico, and Australia in recent days. It's been snowing here off and on. I certainly hope I don't have to scrape any frogs off my windshield in the morning. I think that Dubya's second term may coincide with this catastrophic sign.

I'd like to respond to my friends Kathleen and Glen who were kind enough to comment on my last post. Yes, I am indeed a big fan of both Kevin Spacey and John Turturro. Kevin Spacey has an arresting screen presence an is wildly talented. I look forward to his Bobby Darin flick (I'd like to see his concert performance when he comes to town as well.) He's most likely in my top 30, but doesn't quite make my top 25. John Turturro is pure genius (see Barton Fink, Do the Right Thing, Jungle Fever, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? , and Miller's Crossing). I left off lots of others that I think are amazingly talented...such as Tim Robbins, Rachel Griffiths, Jane Adams, Solveig Dommartin, Nigel Hawthorne, the Gyllenhalls, Jason Schwarzman, Leelee Sobieski, John Cusack, Jeremy Piven, Natalie Portman, Kenneth Branagh, Ian Holm, Edward Norton, John Malkovich, Julianne Moore, James Woods, Scarlett Johansson, Susan Sarandon, Cate Blanchett, Harvey Keitel, Robin Williams, Forest Whittaker, Sean Penn, Robert DeNiro, Pauly Shore and Yahoo Serious (kiddin'), etc. Thank goodness for foreign and independent films. There's not a lot of mainstream films exciting me in this day and age. Luckily there are a lot of talented screenwriters, directors, and actors out there that are willing to make a film for art's sake and not mainstream box-office appeal. I'll take Raise the Red Lantern or Stranger Than Paradise over Superbabies II any day.

Until the next bottle...
Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Any Gong Li film in my book, but Raise the Red Lantern was brilliant. Another one: Farewell, My Concubine. I'm still pissed that that idiotic Belle Epoque won Best Foreign Film that year. Farewell was a much better movie!!!

Edward Norton is on my list. Damn he's hot. ;-)

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home