Monday, March 14, 2005

25 songs that soothe my soul...

I was singing "Today" by Jefferson Airplane to myself the other day and I got to thinking what a beautiful and soothing song it is. Soothing is different things to different people. I think that "Thieves" by Ministry can be theraputic and even soothing, but this list is a little more laid back than that. A lot of the songs that I find soothing have great harmonies. I'm a sucker for great harmonies...Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, Crowded House, Byrds, Beatles, CSN, etc. I also love great female soloists. Some of these songs are more upbeat than others and some may actually have depressing lyrics, but all these songs have a richness that draws me into them. I just thought of another analogy...here are 25 songs that I could fall asleep to as I'm singing along (in no particular order)...

God Only Knows - Beach Boys
The Seeming and the Meaning - Stereolab
Today - Jefferson Airplane
Atmosphere - Joy Division
Drink Before the War - Sinead O'Connor
Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell
Hallelujah - John Cale
The Man With a Child in His Eyes - Kate Bush
It's All Over Now Baby Blue - Them
The Bells of Rhymney - Byrds
Pink Moon - Nick Drake
Vox - Sarah McLachlan
So This is Goodbye - Stina Nordenstam
The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel
Bonnie and Clyde - Luna
My Favorite Things - John Coltrane
At Last - Etta Jones (Not Etta James)
She - That Dog
Birthday - Sugarcubes
I Don't Know Where it Comes From - Ride
Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
She is Dancing - Brian Kelly
Into Temptation - Crowded House
Can't Stop Killing You - Kirsty MacColl
Tom Traubert's Blues - Tom Waits


Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've got good taste in music :)..

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home