Sunday, March 27, 2005

The Final Four, Nick Cave, and asparagus pee...

So I drove to my parents today for Easter (about 2.5 hours up and the same back). It was a casual family gathering. Pleasant enough.

I LOVE asparagus! It is perhaps my favorite vegetable. But why, oh why, does asparagus make your pee smell funny? I'd actually like a scientific explanation. If anyone out there knows why please reply with a comment. Sometimes I'll completely forget that I even had asparagus until it's time to use the loo. Maybe I'll have it in a pasta salad or something and it'll completely slip my mind until it's time to release a torrent. Then I think to myself, "When the fook did I eat asparagus today? I didn't have asparagus today...or did I?" It then turns into a detective's investigation and I have to retrace all my gustatory steps that day until I eventually proclaim, "Shit! It was in the soup I had!". I don't have much of a life, as you can probably tell. What's my favorite asparagus preparation, you ask?
With the all the fancy gadgets and shiny stainless-steel pots and pans I have...
I like to rub the raw asparagus with EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and put it in the George Foreman Grill for about 5 minutes. Simply sprinkle with French sea salt (or Kosher) and eat like French fries. It's damn fine stuff!

The new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds B-Sides & Rarities 3-CD set fookin' rocks!!!

I filled out an NCAA bracket on AOL for poops n' giggles. Turns out that I'm doing pretty well. I'm ranked 1,577 out of lots and lots (I think over 500,000). I picked 3 of the 4 Final Four teams right. I even picked Michigan State to beat Duke. For the record, I had Illinois in the Final Four as well as UNC, Louisville, and Oklahoma. I had Michigan State losing to Oklahoma. Obviously Kentucky beat out Oklahoma earlier. I have Louisville in the finals against UNC with UNC winning the whole thing. I haven't seen a single game except for a few bits today of the Wisconsin/UNC game and the Michigan State/Kentucky game. Not bad for a sports dolt. I just can't believe that I'm doing better in the NCAA pool than I did in the Oscars pool. WTF?!?!?

Hope you found all your eggs today!

Today's wine recommendation- 2002 Kay Brothers McLaren Vale Amery Vineyards Hillside Shiraz $47.99
I absolutely love this Aussie wine, and not just because I had a great experience at the winery (aka "Province Effect"). This ample red boasts rich notes of blackberry jam, melted licorice, violets, and raspberry, as well as subtle notes of vanillin, star anise, creosote, and truffle. It bursts on the palate with gobs of dripping black fruit and the finish is long and wholly satisfying. It's got a substantial, but not noticeable, alcohol level of 15%. All this and it's got a screw-cap (Stelvin) too! Yum!

Until the next bottle...

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home