Wednesday, May 04, 2005

John Hughes, Monade, and hoping that Florida is better than poopsplash...

It was another long, shitty day at work today. Surprise! But at least the big boss man is out of town. He didn't even call me today...so that was extra nice. He called me three times yesterday. The record, however, was eleven times. Yup...he once called me 11 times in one day while he was on vacation. Did I ever mention that he's nuts? He has a tendency to repeatedly call the same person all day. Once he speaks to someone the first time that person turns into the "go to" person for the day. He also seems to assign all projects for the day for whoever is standing or sitting next to (closest to) him at the moment. It really sucks, especially when you're the first person to pick up the phone or be standing next to him. It's enough to make one's life miserable. I have both a psychiatrist and a psychologist friend. I think either of them could do an extra thesis on my boss and win some sort of award. No psychiatrist/psychologist would ever believe that such a person existed in nature until he would displayed in a cage at a psychology convention. He's futs!

House is still one of the best shows on TV...

I was flipping through channels tonight (once again)...and Pretty In Pink is on right now on TBS. God I love that movie! I used to have such a huge celebrity crush on Molly Ringwald (still do). It's such a great f'in movie...it's timeless. Duckie is one of my favorite (and most identified with) characters in film history. There's just something about a John Hughes film (other than the fact that largely all involving rich Chicago suburbanite white kids)... Any "teen" movie done today just can't compare. The subtle details/innuendo/pop references/music/character chemistry/etc. just seem so much more meaningful to me. Keep in mind, however, that I'm "old school", and that's what I identify with. Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Some Kind of Wonderful may not fall into the "Top 20 Films Ever Made", but they're some of my favorites. They're classics. Annie Potts' and Harry Dean Stanton's performances in Pretty in Pink are grossly underrated. And may I say that it also has one of the best soundtracks ever made? My heart sinks for Duckie every time at the end when he gets shot down (gently). It's pretty brutal and I can sort of identify with it, but his resiliency is far better than mine. Long live the Duckman!

James Spader is one of the best cocky cool assholes in film (Pretty In Pink and Less Than Zero especially come to mind)...

Did you hear that Tom Cruise is now dating Katie Holmes? What???????

Did you hear that Dr. Phil is going to interview Pat O'Brien? Do you f'in care? I certainly don't. Dr. Phil can suck my left one.

I went to CVS tonight to by some mini-shampoos and other such crap for my trip to the World Wine Meetings in Ft. Lauderdale. Apparently they're going to have someone pick me up at the airport. Somehow I feel that all of my free time is going to be monopolized by vulturous wine producers and event organizers. I just hope this isn't a trick to steal my kidney. Oh well...even if it is just a kidney stealing scam at least I'll get out of work for a few days...

I've been invited to a friend's birthday BBQ in a few weeks, but I can't go because we're having our mega-colossal Zinfandel Tasting. I'll be busting my ass for about 12 hours without a break/food/wine while everyone else has a grand ole' time. I'm usually so sore afterward that I can't walk once I sit down afterward. At least it benefits the Dearborn Animal Shelter...

So far "grey" is winning by a vote of 2-0...

Apparently I'm the only person alive that loves German potato salad...

I'm going to try to see Monade at the Magic Stick in a couple of weeks. Monade is a band with Laetitia Sadier from Stereolab. I love Laetitia Sadier. She's beautiful and has a sexy French accent. I've met her a few times and she's very nice. I really miss the very lovely and talented Mary Hansen. Mary was one of the important building blocks that made Stereolab what it is. I've also met Mary several times. She was very sweet, kind, modest, and amazingly talented. She was killed a couple of years ago when she was riding her bike and was hit by a truck. It felt like someone kicked me in the nuts when I found out. I was silent for a bit and shed a tear. I've seen Stereolab probably 8 or 9 times and Mary always added something special to each show. I miss her dearly and hope that she is in Moog Heaven. I haven't seen any incarnation of Stereolab since her passing. I'm hoping that the Monade show will bring some kind of closure.

I miss the "Freedom Rock" commercials...do you?

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home