Saturday, October 01, 2005

I love the fall, The Fall, and fleeing the country for prettier environs...

You Are Changing Leaves

Pretty, but soon dead.


Fall is here...finally! It's my favorite season. I love the cool, crisp air and the smell of fallen, fermenting leaves. I love watching the gradual color change of the trees. I love the sound that a leaf makes as it haphazardly rolls along the ground in a gentle gust of wind. I love the smell of a distant fireplace and the sight of billowing smoke in the clear night sky. I love watching the transformation from shorts and T-shirts to sweaters and jackets. I love to walk in the woods on a tranquil autumn day. I love sleeping with the window cracked open on a cool October night. I love that the oppressive heat of summer has gone into hiberation for 8 months or so. I love the fact that winter is only a short time away. I love the first time that I can see my breath after several months of dripping sweat. I love watching the squirrels rustle around in the leaves and dart up the trees. I love that there aren't any mosquitos. I love the foods of the season. I love that the electric bill has dropped 80%. I love a bonfire on a clear, starlit evening. I welcome the season with open arms and enthusiasm.

I love the fall (not to be confused with The Fall, whom I also love). This last summer especially sucked a lot of septic tank. It was hot, humid, and generally icky. I declare the summer of 2005 as the "Summer of Swamp-Ass". I'm glad it's over. Good riddance.

There weren't any fights at the restaurant tonight...so that's a good thing. It was fairly busy.

Today I got a haircut and bought another 512MB Flash Card for my digital camera. I also organized and packed my overnight bag. I bought a bunch of mini shampoos and other random "mini" products last week. I've got an assload of batteries for the camera packed in a compartment of my suitcase. I burned about 40 CDs to bring along with my Discman. I've chosen the books that I'm going to bring on the trip. I've got my carry-on half organized. I've done a bunch of laundry. I'll probably try to get everything "officialy" packed on Sunday and plan my clothes for Monday and Tuesday. My trip to Switzerland is getting very close. However, I still have to get through Saturday and Monday at work. Those are going to two very long, shitty days. This last week at work sucked buckets of chum. There are many, many issues, but being short-staffed and having a boss who is certifiably futs really makes things difficult. Who knows what I'll miss in my two weeks away? I can safely say, however, that I won't think of work once while on vacation. I can't wait to see my family and the stunningly gorgeous country that is Switzerland.

Why do people get Switzerland and Sweden mixed up? Seriously? When I tell people that I'm going to Switzerland they ask if I speak Swedish. They ask if I'm going to drink lots of aquavit. Why did "Swiss Miss" in the old hot chocolate commercials have a Swedish accent? Swiss and Swedish are NOT the same. Switzerland has four national languages- German, French, Italian, and Rumantsch. To learn about Swiss history go here.

I'll try to post once more before I leave.

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home