Sunday, November 20, 2005

Sports movies, the Man in Black, and Steve Guttenberg isn't dead...just his career.

I got my new Entertainment Weekly and they have their list of the "Top 30 Sports Movies on DVD". I thought that it was pretty interesting and I thought I'd share the list with you. You can get more detailed info about the list here.

1)Raging Bull
2)Caddyshack
3)Hoosiers
4)Rocky
5)Bull Durham
6)Million Dollar Baby
7)Breaking Away
8)The Bad News Bears (1976)
9)Friday Night Lights
10)Slap Shot
11)The Pride of the Yankees
12)Kingpin
13)The Set-Up
14)North Dallas Forty
15)Eight Men Out
16)Brian's Song
17)Field of Dreams
18)White Men Can't Jump
19)Fat City
20)Heaven Can Wait
21)The Rookie
22)Cinderella Man
23)The Freshman
24)Rocky III
25)The Bingo Long All-Stars & Motor Kings
26)Love & Basketball
27)Better Off Dead
28)Tin Cup
29)The Longest Yard (1974)
30)Bend It Like Beckham


Looking at the list I'd say that it's pretty good. I absolutely love The Bad News Bears and Caddyshack. Breaking Away was a really great film that's been mostly forgotten by now. I wish that Major League , 61, and He Got Game made the list, but who am I to argue? You know what a sports nut I am. I'm just really glad that One on One starring Robbie Benson did not make the list. That movie is just about the biggest turd that's ever been laid. The list does not include documentaries or films that are not available on DVD. You may argue that Better Off Dead is not a sports movies, but click on the link for EW's argument. Do Kung Fu and Karate not count as sports? There would certainly be a few of those on the list had they been considered.

Speaking of movies...
Today I went to see Walk the Line and it was FANTASTIC!!! Joaquin Phoenix NAILED IT!!! Reese Witherspoon NAILED IT!!! Embarassingly, I still haven't seen Ray, but I'm sure that Joaquin's performance rivals that of Jamie Foxx. I'm also amazed by how much he looked like the Man in Black in the film. Great performances all around! It gets a little dark, but so did his life. Joaquin Phoenix better get some Oscar consideration or I'll be pissed. I hear that Phillip Seymour Hoffman and David Strathairn are getting a lot of Oscar buzz and I'm sure it's deserved. I just haven't seen those films yet. As long as Mr. Phoenix makes the list too I'll be happy. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon (June Carter) both actually sang for the film and did and incredible job. Their duets were wonderful and I was somehow reminded of the duet magic that happens between John Doe and Exene Cervenka from X. Go see Walk the Line!!! I actually camped at Folsom lake once across from the prison. It gets damn hot there! And there's lots of rattlesnakes. It certainly would've been a great reprieve as a prisoner to get a free show from the Man in Black himself...

Speaking of movies again...
I was watching the Fox lineup tonight, but I started flipping channels when the new Michael Rapaport vehicle came on (great actor, HORRIBLE SHOW). There was a remake of the Poseidon adventure on...and it looked hideous. Imagine if you will Steve Guttenberg, Rutger Hauer, Peter Weller, C. Thomas Howell, and Bryan Brown. It was like watching a trainwreck, but with a big boat. Let's just say that it's a whale of a boatwreck. How could Peter Weller agree to this travesty? I haven't seen Guttenberg in anything since...the 80's. Where have you been and why do I care? Actually...I don't really care. It's not like there's been a void in my life for the past 15 years. Maybe he was in a cocoon...or filming Police Academy parts 12-38 in his basement???

In non-movie news...
I'm really looking forward to my trip to New York in January...it'll be great to see some of my friends again.

A friend of mine is in some very serious trouble right now. I won't go into details here, but I think he's been railroaded. I hope and pray that the truth comes out and it is shown that his character is as good as I know it to be. I've been thinking about it all weekend and it just makes me sick. Detroit's local TV media sucks ass and jumps the gun. Don't label someone until the truth comes out...you can ruin a person's life. The local media sickens me...

It's been almost two weeks...apparently Kwame Kilpatrick really was re-elected. It wasn't a bad dream after all.

I haven't really been keeping up on the Michael Cox/Jeffrey Feiger scandal, but I really hope that Feiger is made to look like a fool (which should be pretty easy). I had almost forgotten about the asshole when he had to reappear thanks to this story. Cox made a mistake and admits it, Feiger is just a tool. Clinton was impeached for infidelity, which is wrong, but it should have absolutely nothing to do with his ability to lead the country. He made a mistake, but not an impeachable one. Dubious Dubya is still in office after far greater (impeachable) crimes. WTF?!?!? Clinton was vilified for not inhaling marijuana, but Dubya was a drunk and a cokehead. What's wrong with this picture?

Also sickening was the attack on decorated veteran Rep. John Murtha last Friday. Read his speech here.
Read Jean Schmidt's response here. Her retort was more cowardly than he is. Tina Fey was hilarious on SNL last night when she said that she looked like a 70's gymnist. Read a smart post here about the issue from DD (a friend of mine).

This country is going to the shitter...hopefully Dubya gets the avian flu or a North Korean nuke shoved up his ass on his Asian trip.

It's going to be a shitty week at work...we're shorthanded and it's Thanksgiving. Yee f'in haw!

Pissed that I couln't see Bauhaus. Katm6 said it was a great show!

I'm finally starting to feel better. My muscles hurt a little less, but it still sucks when I cough. Hopefully I'll be able to completely shake this thing when the ribs heal up...

Life right now is like pumpkin pie without whipped cream...

Random Poll #1- What's your favorite sports movie?
Random Poll #2- What's your favorite Johnny Cash song?
Random Poll #3- Thanksgiving...fun or a painful obligation?
Random Poll #4- White meat, dark meat, or Tofurkey?

Cheers,
Jason

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pimpin'.
Did you actually watch the Poseidon Adventure. I lasted about 5 minutes.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I'm appalled that Kingpin was on that list at all much less ahead of movies that were actually good and watchable...and whoever created that list needs to be slapped. Racing is a sport and to leave off Grand Prix and Le Mans is a crime. Now to finish reading the rest of your post.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Favorite sports movie: Field of Dreams

Favorite Johnny Cash song: Don't have one, but I guess to be cool I'm going to have to listen to a CD and find a song.

Thanksgiving - FUN! I love T-giving! It's my favorite holiday!

None of the above. Tofurkey was nasty!! I just eat my veggie stuffing and mashed potatoes with my mushroom gravy and I'm a happy camper.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Glen said...

Random Poll #1- What's your favorite sports movie? Major League...the fact that it's not on the list is criminal(I wonder if it might be currently out of print on DVD?) I also give props to Brian's song...always makes me cry.

Random Poll #2- What's your favorite Johnny Cash song? So many good ones...Get Rhythm, Hey Porter, Don't Take Your Guns to Town(sadly he does..), The One on the Right is on the Left(great political song), Daddy Sang Bass...and then the later stuff like his covers of Personal Jesus and Rusty Cage. Ya know, when Sam bought Carl that Cadillac after Blue Suede Shoes that damn car shoulda been Johnny's!

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home