Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Paris...the new Detroit???

The riots continue in France. I don't mean to make light of the situation in Paris, Lyon, and elsewhere, but I feel that I've got to make some comparisons of Paris and Detroit seeing as I'm a proud Detroiter.

Paris- Home of race riots
Detroit- Home of race riots

Paris- Famous for a tall, skeletal architectural structure.
Detroit- Famous for abandoned skeletal buildings.

Paris- The "City of Light"
Detroit- The "City of Blight"

Paris- Known for its outdoor cafes.
Detroit- Known for outdoor urination.

Paris- The town of dog shit.
Detroit- The town of Kwame Kilpatrick.

Paris- Known for fine patisserie, charcuterie, fromage, and boulangerie.
Detroit- Known for Paczki, ribs, government cheese, and sliced white bread

Paris- Famous for its art galleries and museums.
Detroit- Famous for its art galleries and museums.

Paris- Home of the Louvre
Detroit- Home of the DIA

Paris- Home of Alain Ducasse (Plaza Athenee)
Detroit- Home of Miley and Miley Shrimp Shack

Paris- The city of romance.
Detroit- The city of stray dogs getting it on.

Paris- The city of bicycles and Renaults.
Detroit- The city of blinged-out SUVS and hoopties.

Paris- Honkeytown
Detroit- Hockeytown

Paris- Poulet Roti
Detroit- Popeye's Chicken

Paris- Gitanes and Galoise cigarettes
Detroit- Crack

Paris- Rude and smelly people
Detroit- Down to earth and not too smelly people

Paris- Champs-Elysées
Detroit- Cass Corridor biatch!!!

Paris- Fire and arson during riots
Detroit- Fire and arson every night

Paris- Watch out! You might get poked with a baguette.
Detroit- Watch out mf'er! You might get your ass shot!

Paris- Gay Paris
Detroit- Fashionable Ferndale

Paris- Once under control Napolean Bonaparte
Detroit- Once under police control of Benny Napolean

Paris- Burgundy, Bordeaux, Alsace, Champagne, and Loire wine
Detroit- Olde English, Colt 45, King Cobra, St. Ides, PBR, and Stroh

Paris- Once occupied by racist Adolf Hitler
Detroit- Once occupied by racist Coleman Young

Paris- Home of bad pop music
Detroit- Motown

Paris- Cool jazz clubs back in the day
Detroit- Cool jazz clubs back in the day

Paris- Mime on mime violence
Detroit- Gang violence

Paris at night- Beautiful!
Detroit at night- Don't run out of gas!

Hmmm...maybe we're not that different after all...not! Detroit has never been able to recover from the 1967 riots...let's hope that the situation in France improves.

In other news...
I'm still pretty damn sore. Motrin 800 doesn't work for shit!

I finally went to Glen's store tonight to pick up the new Kate Bush. I can't believe it's been out almost a week and I didn't have it yet. I also picked up the new Sigur Ros, the Monks "Black Monk Time" reissue, a Nick Cave/Warren Ellis soundtrack, a live Split Enz double-CD a Motorhead best of, an Einsturzende Neubauten DVD, and a couple of used CDs. I was just listening to the new Kate Bush for the first time. It's pretty good. It's definitely not as striking as Hounds of Love, Lionheart, The Kick Inside, or Wuthering Heights, but I'm sure it'll grow on me the more and more that I listen to it.

My hotel is booked for New York in January. Now I've just to get a plane ticket. I've already heard from one of my AusWAT compatriots and she said she'll be there. I can't wait to see her again. I wonder who else will show up...

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home