Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Apple Dumpling Gang doesn't ride again...



Don Knotts, legendary comedic actor, has died at the age of 81. He was probably most known for his role as Deputy Barney Fife in The Andy Griffith Show, but was also Mr. Furley on Three's Company as well as a star in The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, and Pleasantville. He also had numerous cameo appearances on television including memorable bits on Scooby Doo. He brought us a lot of laughs. I mentioned his passing to a young co-worker yesterday and she replied "Who?". It's unfortunate that the younger generation may not grasp his fame or talent. I was lucky enough to be a child of the 70's and was able to witness him in his post-Griffith prime. Today's kids will be able to acquaint themselves with Mr. Knotts through numerous reruns of The Andy Griffith Show and Three's Company, but those of us that already had the joy of growing up with him are truly blessed. He will be sorely missed.

And in other news...

The Detroit Red Wings win gold at the Olympics!
...well, sort of. Sweden defeated Finland 3-2 in men's hockey today. Four Detroit Red Wings played for the Swedish national team and helped them reach first place. Detroit Red Wing Nicklas Lidstrom scored the winning goal. WTG guys! Now they can return to their other first place team.

It's sad to see the Olympics come to a close. I didn't get to watch as much of them as I would have wanted, but I was glad to have the chance to see the Olympic spirit in action. It's probably because I have to work until 8:00 or 9:00 PM every day that I missed most of the action. Although there was Olympic coverage on NBC, CBC, USA, and CNBC evening coverage seemed a little short to me. I don't think I saw any Olympics coverage on USA or CNBC. Of course I don't expect to see live coverage considering the time difference, but NBC's coverage seemed to be lackluster to me this time around. Thankfully I live across from Windsor, Ontario and have the luxury of CBC. It's cool to live north of Canada! (Detroit is north of Windsor) Thanks Canada! Now I have Vancouver to look forward to in another 4 years. Good luck to Jim who will be skiing in the 2006 Paralympic Games. See you when you get back from Torino...hopefully with a gold or two.

I think that Joey Cheek is my favorite Olympian this time out. His philanthropic spirit goes hand in hand with true Olympic spirit. Way to make us proud! And WTG on taking a little of the attention off of some of the ugly American egos. You can stop talking now Mr. Miller...

I just found out that I've been invited to a small outdoor Native American ritual-inspired lesbian wedding/commitment ceremony. I'm truly honored to be invited as it is such a small event. They're really awesome gals. It'll be a hoot and I know for sure that there will be lots of drinking going on. It's really, really sad that C's family will not be attending. She was given an ultimatum by her father that it was "R or her family". She obviously made the tough but correct choice by choosing R. I really don't know what to get them. They already have a nice home and couple of great dogs, but most importantly they've got a lot of supportive friends. They'd be perfectly happy to receive a case or two of beer, but I'll have to come up with something better. And I didn't think I'd have any weddings to go to this year. (Actually I should have another this June).

I hope that my friends are having a great time in Italy. They still have another week to go. I can't wait to hear about the Olympic events they witnessed. (They had tickets to 3 events). They are actually there to visit a mutual friend's parents who happen to live very close to Torino. Pretty cool.

Abe Vigoda Watch- He's still alive.

Random Quiz- There are five remaining communist countries. Name them (without looking it up). (Answer on Tuesday)

Random poll #1- What was your Olympic highlight? (Not the highlights in Ricky Martin's hair during the closing ceremonies either...)

Random poll #2- Are you going to watch the Oscars this year and will John Stewart be the most awesome host ever?

Random poll #3- Does anyone actually want to see the Kid Rock/Scott Stapp sex tape?

Random poll #4- Doesn't a person have to be a celebrity to be on a celebrity reality show? (ie. Nick Lechey's brother should not count as a celebrity even if he was in a shitty boy band that no one gives shit about)

Random poll #5- Mr. Roper or Mr. Furley?

Random poll #6- What's more soothing? A hot chocolate in the winter or a Slurpee in the summer?

Random poll #7- What's your ideal breakfast? Croissant and an espresso? (That's mine) Fresh fruit and yogurt? Capn' Crunch and a box of Pop Rocks? Cold pizza and beer? Oatmeal and juice? An omelette with all the fixin's? Toast and preserves? Pancakes? Leftovers?

Random poll #8- "How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man?"

Random poll #9- You don't have to be Polish to polish off a paczki (poonch-key). Are you going to? (Hey Julie and Darrell! Did you know that this site existed?

Random poll #10- How many polls are too many?

Cheers,
Jason

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take a bullet for the Andy Griffith Show any day (that is, the old-school black & white episodes w/ Don Knotts). People look at me like I'm nuts when I say that's one of the best TV shows of all time, but I honestly think it is. And furthermore, Barney Fife is one of the all-time greatest comedic characters to have ever graced my television set. We'll miss you Don!!

1:27 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I hated the Andy Griffiths Show and just hearing the opening notes was enough to make me search frantically for the remote (or in the old days - jump up from the couch and turn the knob).

RIP Dennis Weaver - if you haven't seen Duel, I recommend it.

And the Red Wings scored ALL THREE goals for the Swedes.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

Random Quiz- There are five remaining communist countries. Name them (without looking it up). (Answer on Tuesday)

I'll go with China, Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam and I think Laos is technically still considered communist. I might be wrong on the last one...

Random poll #1- What was your Olympic highlight?

Mark Nichols' performance for Canada's curling team!

Random poll #2- Are you going to watch the Oscars this year and will John Stewart be the most awesome host ever? Maybe, yes.

Random poll #3- Does anyone actually want to see the Kid Rock/Scott Stapp sex tape? No


Random poll #5- Mr. Roper or Mr. Furley? Actually Roper in this case, nothing against Don.

Random poll #6- What's more soothing? A hot chocolate in the winter or a Slurpee in the summer?
Hot Chocolate

Random poll #7- What's your ideal breakfast? Croissant and an espresso? (That's mine) Fresh fruit and yogurt? Capn' Crunch and a box of Pop Rocks? Cold pizza and beer? Oatmeal and juice? An omelette with all the fixin's? Toast and preserves? Pancakes? Leftovers? Pop Tarts and tea.

Random poll #8- "How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man?" 4, just don't walk down Livernois!

Random poll #9- You don't have to be Polish to polish off a paczki (poonch-key). Are you going to? no

Random poll #10- How many polls are too many?
11

10:30 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

BST- Yup.
Kathleen- I've seen duel. Great movie.
Glen- Great job! Laos is correct. I agree on the Mr. Roper thing too.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home