Sunday, February 12, 2006

Confessions of an Olympic junkie...

I shoot Olympics between my toes...

I do love the Olympics! I only saw a bit of the opening ceremonies as I was working at the restaurant on Friday night. What I did see was without sound. I thought that it was pretty cool that Sophia Loren and Susan Sarandon were both flag carriers. The torch lighting ceremony was really spectacular this year and I thought that the acrobatic folks on tethers were pretty darn cool.

I've loved watching the Olympics since I was a kid. I may not be very athletic or even a big sports fan, but the Olympics are special. There's really nothing as uniting and pure in spirit. It's awe inspiring how an event that happens every four years can unite the world. The athletes are truly amazing. They train their entire lives for a few minutes of exertion and hopefully glory. Maybe it's the fact that I'm half Swiss that I'm really drawn to the Winter Olympics. I used to watch ABC's Wide World of Sports on Saturday with my mom and we'd watch the downhill Swiss downhill legends like Pirmin Zurbriggen and others. I really enjoy all of the winter events, but I would say that downhill and slalom skiing, ski jumping, figure skating, luge, and bobsled really stand out. A friend of mine is actually headed to Italy next week and she has tickets to a few events. That's really damn cool! I just love the Olympic spirit. The world would be a better place if only we always had the Olympic spirit. It's not enough to show it every four winters or summers.

I was flipping between NBC and CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation- It's a bonus to live near the Canadian border!) last night and I saw that the Canadian Women's Ice Hockey team beat the Italians 16-0. Ouch! I've always preferred the CBC coverage to the American coverage. Much less biased and much more diverse coverage...

Michelle Kwan will not be receiving an medals in Torino as she has injured herself and her Olympic careers is ending. Thanks for bringing us smiles for so many years! You're really an inspiration! Even though she isn't getting a gold medal, she will always hold a place on the trophy shelf of our hearts.

Shaun White just pulled some really sick moves in the snowboard half-pipe event. That kid is an insane snowboarder AND skateboarder...

I'm looking forward to the next couple weeks of Olympic TV. I won't be sleeping much...

Did you hear the one about the Vice President shooting somebody? Actually it's true. Dickhead Cheney "accidentally" shot a fellow quail hunter in the face and chest with a shotgun yesterday in Texas. No kidding...


A VERY INTERESTING ARTICLE in the new Rolling Stone. It's about Dubya's proposal to get a manned mission and permanent settlement on Mars within 50 years. The project would cost at least 500 billion dollars and would most likely fail. I support the space program, but this idea is a little ridiculous. Mind you it would challenge the great the minds of the planet and who knows what new technologies they'd be able to develop, but the probability of failure is staggering. Going ahead with this project will do away with Hubble and other valuable projects. Read the article...it's pretty frickin' ambitious if you ask me. Did someone take Dubya's crayons again? I'm starting to wonder if Dubya is really a monkey. He proudly pounds his chest and throws around a lot of shit...now he just a public display of masturbation.

I'm so glad the Superbowl is over...

Two weeks since I left New York and now they get a record-breaking 2 feet of snow. Sucks to be them...

I went to Glen's store on Friday and bought a buttload of used CDs as they recently bought a rather large collection. I also picked up the new She Wants Revenge, a Sigur Ros EP, the newly re-issued on DVD "The Road to God Knows Where" Nick Cave DVD, a Joy Division DVD, a Gil Scott-Heron CD, and a Sarah Vaughan CD. Another big score at the fabulous Switched On CDs.

Happy Valentine's day to those of you that have someone to share it with. Gravel for the rest of us. Anyone looking for a big, sometimes funny (arguably), honest, wine-expert Valentine that likes to cook? I'm a good catch. I may not be Curly, but I'm at least Shemp. Definitely better than Curly-Joe...

Oh well, that's all for now...

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home