Sunday, March 05, 2006

Boom Crash Pow! A post-Oscar post... (The Facts of Life connection continued)

58.8%!

Not great, but not too shabby. I went 10 for 17 in the Oscar pool that I was in. I was 4 for 6 in the "Big 6". I had predicted that Brokeback Mountain would win best film, but I'm ecstatic that Crash actually ended up winning. Hopefully more people will be inspired to rent/buy Crash. It's a great film that everybody needs to see!

It was neat to see Grant Heslov, who was nominated for writing and best film (as producer), is also a fairly prolific character actor. He's been in everything. It's the guy on the left. (Who knows who the other guy is?)


The "In Memoriam" tribute was humbling and tearful as always. I'm surprised that Don Knotts was not included.

What was up with that bow-like thing on Charlize Theron's dress (on her shoulder)? WTF?!? It would have been a great dress without the damn thing. Keira Knightley's beauty just knocked me on my ass. The recent Vanity Fair cover with her and Scarlett Johansson makes my heart go pitter patter and something in my pants go boing! (Sorry for that one.)

Robert Altman received the honorary Oscar this evening for lifetime achievement. Altman is truly a legendary director and is a master artist with films such as Nashville, The Player, Gosford Park, MASH, 3 Women, and Kansas City under his belt. (No comment on Dr. T and the Women). I'm very happy that he received the award as I think he is one of the greats. I think that Short Cuts is the artist's master-stroke. Anyone who can make a film like Short Cuts deserves something big!

Congrats to Jon Stewart on a job well done! The laughs were light but the crowd were comatose.

It all comes down to The Facts of Life...again! Paul Haggis, George Clooney, and Grant Heslov all have The Facts of Life connections.

Kudos to Crash! Watch it now!

Today's wine recommendation-
2004 De Lisio McLaren Vale Grenache- Wow!!! This is blockbuster shit! I normally refrain from using vulgarities when reviewing a wine, but this wine is the dog's balls. I tasted this a few weeks ago (against 2003 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf-du-Pape) and it was simply profound! The Vieux Telegraphe was "nice...nice...not thrilling, but nice" (History of the World Part I). The De Lisio was "SHAZAMMMM!" The color is very deeply concentrated purple/black for a grenache. I could smell it for hours. The nose is full of blackberry jam, blueberries, raspberries, melted licorice, cedar, and vanillin. The palate is powerful with expansive bursts of blackberry puree, blueberry, cigar box, and lush vanillin from oak. The alcohol comes in at a whopping 16.5% (on the label) but it doesn't show any heat. The alcohol and the fruit are married beautifully. This bottle is a deeply concentrated/extracted hedonistic pleasure bomb that explodes like a Molotov cocktail on the nose and palate. The finish is almost endless. This is the best grenache that I've ever tasted! Run, don't walk to find this extremely limited offering! Pardon my language, but it's like getting a blowjob from a toothless angel.
About $55.00.

Cheers,
Jason

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>Pardon my language, but it's like getting a blowjob from a toothless angel<<

I think that's the best description of a beverage I've ever read. I don't know if I've ever tasted anything that heavenly, but I do remember one time when Clay made me a 'rusty nail' that was like getting a blowjob from a toothless bum.

B

1:28 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

Favorite line from CRASH:

(Ludacris talking to his protege about white people and how they talk to one another)

"Hey Honky, how's business?"

"Great Cracker we're diversifyin'"

11:37 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I got nothing else right (not true, I also got Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay), but I did get Crash right. I saw four of the five and simply thought it was the Best. I yelled when they announced it. Scared the crap out of Igor on my lap.

I liked Charlize's dress and I'm usually not a bow person at all.

My question is WHO THE HELL IS JESSICA ALBA AND WHY DON'T I KNOW HER WHEN EVERYBODY ELSE DOES???

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home