Saturday, February 10, 2007

This Week in Bat-Shit Crazy

Hey kids!

Sorry for the non-posting, but I've just been too tired to sit down and try to be creative in the evening. I get out of work later than most people and when I get home I generally want to veg by watching TV or something. I really can't post from work and I sure as hell don't want to post in the morning before work because that's just silly. I also don't have a lot of material as I mostly just work. My life is pretty sad.

A week ago Thursday BST called me at work and asked if I wanted to see a show with him at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor. It would be a late night but I didn't have to work the next morning so I agreed. It's been quite a while since I've been to a concert. I wasn't really familiar with the band, Camera Obscura, but BST said they were Scottish and sounded a bit like Belle & Sebastian. Sounded good to me. We got there about 9:30 and probably got in about 10:00. There was a line wrapped around the door and it was colder than Dick Cheney's demeanor. We were worried that it may sell out before we got to the door but we ended up lucking out. As with most shows these days I felt really old. Like a really old perv as there were so many attractive YOUNGER girls there. One of the first things I noticed was this guy in front of us. I think he was trying to go for the Kurt Cobain look but ultimately he ended up looking like a dead ringer for Peter Tork. A band from Brooklyn called The Essex Green opened and they were really good. Kind of jangly, folky, poppy, and psychedelic with a definite Byrds inspiration. Very good and a very cute singer. The three tallest guys in the room ended up (of course) standing right in front of us. One of the tall guys and probably the shortest guy (a sound guy) lit up some clove cigarettes. I didn't know that anybody still smoked cloves other than high school neo-goths and and other pale tortured poetry/drama types. These guys were over 21 and smoking cloves. Maybe they're in a D & D club or something (that's Dungeons & Dragons to you youngsters out there that don't know shit about nuthin'). Camera Obscura came out and did a really great show. Another cute singer. Dang! I'm really glad I went. I heard a great band that I wasn't familiar with before. BST and I tried a 24-hour joint in the Dearborn area that we hadn't tried before. I've mentioned before that there is a severe lack of 24-hour dives in the Dearborn, which is really silly as there are so many bars and drunks in the area. The place was pretty good and remains a fine option for late night dining. Good to know.

Another great opinion piece from Jack Lessenberry here. Scary and accurate. Michigan is f*cked!

I stayed home during the Superbowl as I didn't have any Superbowl party invites, but then again I really don't give a crap. I did have a couple "squares" from the restaurant job but I didn't win a dime (as usual). I was one point away from winning the final score/jackpot square. Dang! Prince did a pretty good job at halftime, but I'd have to say that his performance was racier than the whole Nipplegate thing a couple years ago. I think Indianapolis won. I don't really care...

We were having that whole abnormally warm thing going on not too long ago. Now it's been single digit cold with double digit below-zero with wind chill. Crazy shit! You'd better listen to Al Gore...

I was flipping channels on Monday and came across a televised forum of mayoral candidates for the city in which I live. The very popular former mayor of 20-some odd years passed away recently. There is a certain candidate who has been president of the city council for some time. We'll call him JO'R. After watching the forum it is VERY CLEAR that JO'R is by far the only candidate worth a vote. He CRUSHED the others. JO'R is very smart and has been involved in Dearborn politics for some time. His father was mayor for a while as well. Not only is JO'R bright, but his opponents are blubbering idiots. We'd be in a lot of trouble if anyone other than JO'R were elected. I have no idea why some of these people are running other than to embarrass themselves. Maybe I should have run...it pays pretty well.

Once again 24 kicks ass! This season may even be better than the last one. Paul Crane, formerly Dr. Rocket Romano in ER and the guy with the red fro in Fame (the movie), is a huge dick again...even bigger than his ER role! Talk about an asshole!

Speaking of dank, smelly orifices...
Anna Nicole Smith died. No big surprise really. It's too bad she didn't take Bobby Trendy with her. The newest info is a little odd. Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband claims to have had an affair with her for the last 10 years or so and says that the baby may be his. Wow! She was so white trash that bleach was envious. Sad (not mournful) state of affairs.

Speaking of Bobby Trendy...
Not that I want to... I just want to say that Bobby Lee from MAD TV is probably the funniest thing on sketch TV today! He's the opposite of Horatio Sans...funny! His Bobby Trendy, Connie Chung, Kim Jong Il, and other roles are are frickin' hilarious! Keep it up!

I'll keep astronaut and NASA jokes to a minimum. That's just too f'ed up to even to expound upon. How can I make it sound any crazier than it already is. That woman is certifiably futs! Should I talk about it??? Depends...

The sad thing of my life is that this weeks highlight for me was probably the return of Lost. Wednesday nights have been sort of slow nights and I was between Netflix mailings so I was flipping channels hoping to find something interesting other than the Mythbusters rerun and found the season premiere of Lost. I thought it was in a couple of weeks. Thank goodness I've got something to look forward to on Wednesdays. Told you I had a sad life...

Next Wednesday I'm going to try-out online for the 2007 World Series of Pop Culture trivia contest sponsered by VH-1 and Entertainment Weekly. I watch/watched way too much TV. I just may have a shot!

Random Poll- Pre-mixed chocolate milk, Hershey's Syrup, Nestle Quik powder, Ovaltine, Bosco, or some other brand of chocolate milk mix? (In my book there's nothing better than Calder Brothers Dairy Chocolate Milk followed by Guernsey followed by Ovaltine followed by Hershey's Syrup)

Random Poll #2- Mardi Gras is coming. Would you show your goods for beads? What if they were really nice beads?

Random Poll #3- Is is cold enough for ya?

Random Poll #4- Sledding, skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, ice skating, hockey, snow angels, or a hot toddy for the body?

Random Poll #5- How would you "fix" Michigan? (In five words or less)

ITMFA!

Cheers,
Jason

2 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

Random Poll- Pre-mixed chocolate milk, Hershey's Syrup, Nestle Quik powder, Ovaltine, Bosco, or some other brand of chocolate milk mix? Pre mixed from Calders, which is just a few blocks away from the house.

Random Poll #2- Mardi Gras is coming. Would you show your goods for beads? Yep, haven't we all ball-walked for beads??

Random Poll #3- Is is cold enough for ya? I'm fine with it and things could be much worse so I'll count my blessings.

Random Poll #4- Sledding, skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, ice skating, hockey, snow angels, or a hot toddy for the body? I'm gonna say hockey or curling.

Random Poll #5- How would you "fix" Michigan? (In five words or less) Education. Stab Ohio In Ass.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

#1 - That's a toughie. I haven't had chocolate milk in so long, but I'm thinking my 100% lactose free, fat-free milk with Hershey's syrup.

#2 - Nope, sorry, not my style. I have shitloads of beads from Vegas and I only had to watch HRH play blackjack to get them. And truthfully, they're not that exciting.

#3 - Bloody hell, are you kidding me? If it's below 70F, it's cold enough for me.

#4 - I don't do outside winter stuff, but the snow angel is the most likely. Takes five seconds and then you can go back inside.

#5 - Kick Dumbya in the ass and out of office, impose tariffs on Japanese/Asian cars and impose additional taxes on those who drive Japanese/Asian cars.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home