Thursday, May 19, 2005

"Blood Stains" in Westland and UberMegaGiganteSuper-Mart is destroying America...

I'm pretty worn out. Work is just dragging me down. I have so many things to do and we're so understaffed that it's embarrassing. The useless part-time girl is out of town for a few days making her even more useless. Although she's an absolutely horrible employee, she's still a warm body and contributes just the tiniest fraction. She really pisses me off and I abhor working with her, but I guess it's still better than nothing. The owner is passing off countless new projects on me and I want someone to take him down with an elephant tranquilizer. As many darts as it takes... Also this Sunday is our biggest tasting of the year. I always look forward to working 12 hours on my day off...

I just read that Agent Orange is going to play a show at the Token Lounge in Westland in June. THE Agent Orange! One of the best American punk bands of all time! Playing at the Token Lounge??? WTF?!?

There's an interesting/scary article in the new Gourmet magazine (June 2005) on Wal-Mart. Stores like Wal-Mart and Costco scare the hell out of me! I'm deeply concerned about America's future. Costco has taken over as the number one wine-seller in the US putting countless small businesses out of business. Pretty soon there will be less than a dozen companies in the US controlling everything. Everyone is buying everyone out until there will only be a handfull of uber-companies left. I love small independent business (ie. the DMRC)! Companies like Wal-Mart are driving everyone into foreclosure and bankruptcy. The prices may be good, but are the effects worth it? Here are some Wal-Mart facts that scare the hell out of me (as borrowed from Gourmet magazine)...

Percentage of U.S. households that made a Wal-Mart purchase in 2002: 82

Percentage of U.S. food sales attributed to Wal-Mart in 2003: 15

Percentage expected by 2007: 35

Average percentage decrease of grocery prices in U.S. markets entered by Wal-Mart: 14

Minimum number of new U.S. supermarkets that have closed since Wal-Mart entered the grocery business in 1988: 10,000

Minimum number of (mostly union) U.S. supermarket jobs that have been eliminated in that time: 12,000

Percentage difference in labor costs at a Wal-Mart Supercenter vs. at a unionized supermarket in the same U.S. locality: 20 to 30

Percentage difference in price of groceries: 15 to 30


Sam Walton and his family are among the richest people in the world. The employees of Wal-Mart are among the poorest working people in the U.S. At least there's now a place for your unemployable cousin to work. The Farmer Jack supermarket chain (big in Michigan) is going bankrupt and will be closing over 70 stores. Be afraid...be very afraid. Support the little guys. As is the slogan of the Detroit Music Retailers Collective..."Be independent. Shop independent." Wal-Mart (Sam's Club), Costco, Best Buy, etc. are driving this country into the shitter. Take a stand and give 'em the finger. It's still okay to love your grandpa if he's a Wal-Mart greeter, but don't feel obligated to visit him at work. Small, independent retail operations offer service, knowledge, understanding, quality, unique and hard to find items (without mandatory censorship), appreciation, and a smile. F' the big guys! Give 'em the big 'ol Johnny Cash double-bird flip!

Did you hear Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's father yesterday speaking in regard to his son's re-election campaign? He compared the media to Hermann Goering!!! WTF?!?!?!? The media may suck, but nothing...absolutely nothing should be compared to Goering or any of his evil bilous lowest of the low cowardly shit of the earth co-horts. I could comment further, but I don't want a deluge of comments from "boots n' braces" wearing neo-Nazi shitheads. It's also very unfortunate that a large percentage of Detroit voters probably will not get the reference. Kwame's first term was an absolute embarrasment and I will be hanging my head low if he get's re-elected. I may not live in the city of Detroit, but I care about it and its future. I'd also like to thank the media for sharing this story with the public.

My friend Brian P posed a question on his blog regarding "What are you listening to?" Well...lately I've been listening to ...
Monade
The Zincs
Bloc Party
The Decemberists
John Doe
Stereolab
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Dave Brubeck
John Coltraine
Sam Prekop
Billy Bragg
Joy Division
Petra Haden

The "Season Finale" of House is next Tuesday. Should be great! Sela Ward was introduced in yesterday's episode as a former love of Dr. House. The man who cannot love indeed can. It opens up a whole new dynamic. The details of his leg injury were also revealed yesterday. I guess Sela Ward will guest star in 7 or 9 (I can't remember which) episodes next season. This will certainly complicate things for Cameron. I can't wait for next week's episode. Still my favorite show this year! Check out House Tuesdays at 9:00PM! Great f'in show!!!

I'll wait until next week some time to see the new Star Wars film. I've waited 28 years already, what's another week? Any of my local friends/readers wan't to plan some sort of viewing soon? Any time (nights) after this Sunday (the 22nd) will be best for me. Once the giant wine tasting is over this Sunday, I will be slightly freed-up. Because of the tasting I'll be missing my friend Glen's B-Day Barbeque. It's very unfortunate. Happy birthday Glen!

In the awesome news category...two of my friends will be taking home their beautiful adopted daughter soon. Congratulations!!!

I didn't post yesterday because I was writing a letter of recommendation for a co-worker/friend yesterday. He'll be getting a real job soon. I spent a long time on it making sure it was just right. The information was all indeed true, but I may have shoveled the shit a bit thick. I think I may have written the perfect letter of recommendation. Hooray for me! I hope that he gets the job.

I've been toying with the idea of going to Switzerland for a week in the fall to visit family. I've been checking out airfares online and trying to figure out if it's feasible. Maybe...maybe. I haven't been in 17 years and have to get back soon.

I'm very much looking forward to my July vacation "Up North" with friends. Work is hella stressful right now. Last year's vacation was just what I needed. I need another week of "relaxing as hell". My business trip to Florida was not relaxing, but it was hell. I'm also still waiting to be re-imbursed for my flight. I'm hoping that the money will be in my account in the time that it takes to smoke a pack of Gitanes.
Damn French people...
What's that old joke???
"French Army rifle for sale. Like new. Never been fired and only dropped once."

I'm getting lots of e-mails and calls from some of the producers that I met in Florida. They're all so needy. I have given several of the producers lots of contact information for the state of Michigan. I have already contacted one importer and put them in contact with a local distributor regarding one Australian producer that I'm excited about. The ball is in motion. My distributor should have the samples shortly and will be making a decision soon. I think these to companies would be a good fit.

Random poll: Would you rather be in a room with a NASCAR fan or a poo-flinging monkey?

Today's wine recommendation...
2002 Deen DeBortoli Vat 1 Durif- This Australian beauty is made from the rare and relatively obscure varietal known as durif. Durif has been thought to be petite sirah on occasion, but the DNA is indeed different. This is only the second durif that I've ever seen (Santa Cruz Mountains Winery makes the other). The nose has expressive notes of black fruit, cappucino, and vanillin with subtle sage. It's rich and full-bodied with jammy notes of blackberry, blueberry, and black currants with creamy vanillin and solid, but soft, tannins. Try with a thick grilled ribeye steak, lamb burgers, or whatever you feel like tossing on the grill. Delicious! Try something different! $14.99
The wines from DeBortoli just became available in Michigan. Be sure to also try their outstanding DeBortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon.

Until the next bottle...
Cheers,
Jason

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

poo flinging monkey.....

7:57 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I happen to be friends with some NASCAR fans who are not the stereotypical NASCAR fan, so as long as it's a friend, I'll say the NASCAR fan.

I totally agree with you about the problems with Wal-Mart and other big box stores. I try to avoid them whenever possible. They are evil, all of them. My one concession is ABC Warehouse but that's a Detroit chain, so I choose that over Best Buy or Circuit City.

You haven't mentioned the Supreme Court's ruling that Michigan's anti-wine shipping into the state law is unconstitutional. I know the Michigan group is going to continue to fight, but I figured you would have commented.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Oh yeah, and I definitely want to see the new Star Wars soon....

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home