Sunday, July 24, 2005

Vinuous consumption, Switzerland update, movies, SPS, and Whatchamacallits

Congratulations to Lance frickin' Armstrong on winning his 7th (and last) Tour de France! I think he finally dumped that whiny-ass annoying as butt-lice "singer". Congratulations all around. I wonder what my old cycling hero Greg Lemond is up to these days???

Today was nice. It was my friend/coworker's wife's B-Day fete. As always it as a limited/invite only guest list. There were 9 of is in total and we did some damage to some wine. If memory serves me correctly we had Veuve Clicquot Brut NV Champagne, 2001 Shypoke Charbono, 2003 Noon Reserve Shiraz, 2002 Kunin Alisos Vineyard Syrah, 2002 Jaffurs Melville Vineyard Syrah, 2003 Rafanelli Zinfandel, 2002 Ladera Lone Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon, 2003 Mr. Riggs McLaren Vale Shiraz, 1996 Pride Cabernet Sauvignon, a 3 liter bottle of 2002 Ravenswood Lodi Zinfandel, Galway Pipe Tawny Port, and a shitty Czech wine. The shitty Czech wine was a gift to me from the Tactometer and his wife after their honeymoon. They were told that it was a good wine...it wasn't. Thanks anyway! This event usually takes place outdoors, but the weather was frasty (friggin' nasty). Normally the weather cools down after a thunderstorm...but not in southeastern Michigan. It rained like hell this morning and when it cleared it just got hotter and moister. It's just after 11:00PM now and the news just said it was 90 out and the humidity was off the shit-o-meter. I could take a shower right now to dry off. This is the worst summer that I ever remember. It's been hot before, but never coupled so much with ass-dragging humidity. It's like a hot Wet-Nap outside... I want some damn snow and I want it right now! I can't wait until the cool, crisp days off fall. I love autumn. It's my favorite season. I like weather where you might have to wear a jacket and can occasionally see your breath. I like winter too, but the fall rules!!! Oh shit! The weather-guy just said that tomorrow may be the record-breaking hottest day of the year. Thanks assmunch! He just said that the heat-index tomorrow afternoon may reach 110 (the humidity makes it feel that way...just like windchill). Thanks! Thanks a lot! I think that I need to move to Yellowknife or something...

Speaking of the fall...
Long story short...I didn't get a raise, but I did get offered an extra week vacation. I'm pissed about the whole raise thing, but I'm happy to get the extra week. I'm in the process of spending more money to get my ticket to Switzerland changed. I'm going to go for two weeks rather than two now. I just wish that I had been told a week earlier and not have had to pay an extra $250+ to change the ticket. A week was certainly not enough time to visit family in Switzerland. Two weeks is great. I'll also be able to get a few things in for sure that I wasn't probably able to to before (like visiting the Rigi). Here's another Rigi link. I'm really, really looking forward to the trip. I'm going to take lots o' pictures. October is too far away...

A view of the Munot castle in Schaffhausen, Switzerland Posted by Picasa

Last night's Neflix flick was House of Flying Daggers. It was a very good movie, but not quite Hero. Chinese cinematographers really take advantage of color in film. Hero had some stunning scenes involving some very intense colors (in handmade objects), but House of Flying Daggers used natural color (as in nature) to full effect. Some of the shots in the forest and the autumnal forest shots were absolutely mind-blowing. Good movie. M is next to watch. I've seen it before, but it's been a very long time. I want to pay more attention to it this time. I've got a bunch of Kurosawa films coming soon in my queue. I can't wait, but I've also got to have some time to commit to watching these masterpieces.

When I got home tonight Whalerider was showing on PBS. I caught the last half hour or so. I've seen (and own) the movie, but the ending is still just about the most tear-inducing thing I've ever encountered. Great f'in movie! GREAT!!! She should have won the Oscar!!! If you feel like a good happy/sad cry please don't hesitate to watch Whalerider. Films from New Zealand just rock! My all-time fave film is Once Were Warriors and Heavenly Creatures is pretty kick-ass too!

Anthony Bourdain has a new series starting on the Travel Channel tomorrow at 10:00PM called No Reservations. I'm so there! Anything Anthony Bourdain does is like heroin to me...

I hope that Michael makes it another week on Hell's Kitchen...

Do you have Small Penis Syndrome? Symptoms include the owning of a Hummer, Lamborghini, or Ferrari...
Some guy came into the restaurant Friday night and had his $300,000+ yellow V-16 Lamborghini valeted. At least a Lamborghini is a really f'in cool and beautiful car. Hummers are just about as necessary as a nipple on a banana. The guy is single...he's definitely trying to compensate for something. At least Ferraris and Lamborghinis are really nice to look at. A Hummer looks like a giant Borg turd from a giant Borg ship (probably my one and only Star Trek Next Generation reference...I'm a nerd, but not a supernerd). I'm so secure in my masculinity that I drive a 1997 Hyundai with tape holding up one of the windows...because that's what I can afford. I don't have SPS, just SP...

Work is sort of a clusterf'ed tizzy right now...it's not cool.

The world's second best looking redhead in the world was in our store yesterday. Stunning!!!

I'm still hoping to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

I heard a great quote today...
"The friends inside my head said that you're weird."

I made a kick-ass pork loin last night. I forgot that I had bought two porkloins at Farmer Jack last week (they were on sale...about $10.00 for a 4.5-5lb loin). I roasted it last night and it was as moist and tender as can be. Invest (about $15) in an instant-read thermometer with a probe and temperature alarm and you'll get a perfect roast (any kind) every time. For a perfect pork loin set the temperature alarm to go off at 140 degrees F...

The backyard garden is really coming along. I should be able to make some great veggie pasta dishes very soon. The hot Hungarian banana peppers are going insane! Aglio olio anyone??? How many ways can you cook zucchini...I wonder??? I love it but I'll be sick of it soon enough...

Did you know that Peter Sellers died 25 years ago today? Sad...very sad. He was a true genius.

Apparently Sandra Bullock and Jesse James got married. I'm indifferent, but it's still kinda cool...

I wish my friends a safe trip to London...

Random poll- What was your favorite candy during childhood? (I think that the Whatchamacallit before they changed the formula was my fave. I remember when they first came out and how I thought they rocked! I was never a big sugar-candy fan...I've always been a fan of things that involve chocolate.)

Today's Wine Recommendation- 2003 Mr. Riggs McLaren Vale Shiraz
Damn! This is some damn fine stuff! The nose is packed with melted licorice, creosote, tar, blackberry, raspberry, vanilla, and subtle smokey cedar. It's expansive on the palate with truckloads of jammy blackberry fruit with a whollop of blueberry and vanilla. The palate is also inundated with allspice, cedar, white pepper, and licorice! Delicious! It's fairly limited, but well worth the search.
About $55.00 U.S.

Cheers,
Jason

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I think that the Whatchamacallit before they changed the formula was my fave"

YES!!!
See! They DID change the formula... like around 1983 or so, right?! Then I wasn't imagining this.
Anyways, I was having a candy bar discussion with someone the other day, and I was insisting that the Whatchamacallit changed somewhere along the line, and the other person was vehemently disputing this.
In matters of food, I'll take Jason's word to be gospel truth... so, in other words, I've been proven correct! Thanks, Jason!

1:18 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Sorry the Czech wine sucked. I guess that is why everyone dirnks thier kick-ass beer. BTW, Lance and Sheryl are still an item.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Yeah, what Perl said. They showed Ms Butt Ugly Crow on Saturday after the time trials. I was definitely disappointed that he has not developed better taste in women.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

I'm gonna have to go with the 100,000 dollar bar, folowed by the Milky Way.

I still miss Quisp, by the way...

Jason, who are the top 10 redheads, since the one who popped into your store was only #2??
I asked Julie who she thought #1 would be and she said Bernadette Peters, which made me wonder.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home