Monday, August 15, 2005

Amish on crank, Walla Walla onions, and Sarah Silverman is my dreamgirl...

It's been a pretty uneventful week. The weather today is actually fantastic. It's in the 70's and it's been threatening rain all today. Awesome! It rained last night and a bit on Friday. That's a nice change-up from the nasty-ass weather that we've been having. I can't wait for the crisp, cool air of fall. Can't wait...

I watched a pretty damn interesting documentary last night. I've been wanting to see it for some time and I finally had a chance to see Devil's Playground thanks to Netflix. Devil's Playground is a film about Amish teens during rumspringa. Apparently the Amish really now how to party...SERIOUSLY!!! Very, very interesting film that I would encourage anyone to see. I learned quite a bit about Amish society and actually find its ideals well placed. The ideal that I probably most agree with is adult baptism. The idea of being able to choose whether or not you'd like to be baptised after you've been made fully aware of the church and its teachings is something that I could agree with. Mind you...I could never ever be Amish. Watch this film...there's some scary shit going on in Amish country. I won't make a joke about the time I was in Intercourse, Pennsylvania...
(I really was in Intercourse, Pennsylvania once. It's an Amish community.)

I watched Devil's Playground last night after watching Some Kind of Monster on VH-1 last night. That's the Metallica documentary. Pretty interesting...

I went to Westborn Market today to pick up a few things and I very happily discovered that they had Walla Walla onions in stock. I LOVE WALLA WALLA ONIONS!!! Vidalia onions are nice and all, but Walla Wallas friggin' rule! You don't see them very often in Michigan, but they were a staple of Oregon summers. Walla Walla onions grow in Washington and Oregon an are generally available mid-June to September. They're sweet and absolutely divine. Here are some Walla Walla onion recipes. I bought a few and I'll be going back shortly before they're all gone. I did make a pretty nice dinner for myself today. I seared a thick Delmonico steak that had been seasoned with Murray River salt and pepper and rubbed with extra virgin olive oil on both sides then topped it with a couple of sliced Roma tomatoes that had I just picked from the garden, fresh basil (just picked), and a whole sliced Walla Walla onion. I then popped the pan into a 475 degree oven for about 7 minutes. I then threw a bit of flour, Bourgogne (pinot noir), and beefstock in the pan and let it reduce on the stove and then finished it off with some butter. Nice! Walla Walla onions rule! Find out for yourself...

I'm a little nervous. I ordered something from Amazon.com that should be here already according to their delivery estimate, but UPS tracking shows that it hasn't been picked up yet from Amazon (a week later). I normally wouldn't care so much, but it's for a friend's birthday and the clock is ticking. I also ordered something from E-Bay that was put in last Monday's mail in England. I just hope that that gets here in time as that has a deadline as well...

I was actually watching the Comedy Central Roast of Pamela Anderson. I wasn't watching it for Pamela's sake, but to see some people make fun of her and Tommy Lee's legendary schwanz. Jeffery Ross is a funny-ass motherf'er! You can book him here. One of the highlights of the evening was an insane Courtney Love rambling on about how she's been clean and sober for over a year...ha ha ha ha! If she was clean and sober I'm the f'n Dalai Lama. (No offense to the Dalai Lama. He's a cool cat.) Also on the dais was one of my favorites...the lovely, talented, beautiful, filthy Sarah Silverman. I would marry her if she'd let me. She's gorgeous and has a dirtier mouth than a trucker with Tourette's. What more can a person ask for?

I definitely need to see The Aristocrats this week. Anybody want to go to a 9:30 showing some time this week at the Main? I'd rather not go alone, but I will if I have to. Just be warned that it's FILTHY!!!

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

Brian and I are up for seeing the movie!

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home