Sunday, August 07, 2005

...and the winner is "Sweaty Horse Balls" by a nose!

So I judged the homemade wine contest today...that was something. I guess I lucked out today. I was supposed to judge the "Dry Red" category, but there was only one person judging "Sweet Red". I jumped over to the "Sweet Red" table help out. Turns out there were only 3 wines entered in the "Sweet Red" category as opposed to the 20 or so in the "Dry Red" category. I only had to taste 3 wines, but I didn't go away unscathed. The winning wine in our category was reminiscent of sweaty horse balls. Yeah...it was a real winner, but at least it didn't kill me...yet. The second place wine in our category tasted like it was made from monkeys. In its defense it tasted like it was made from real monkeys...not that articial stuff. The last place (and still bronze medal-winning) had a nose of diaper and Tang with notes of fermented pollywog and dungbeetle feces and a persistent finish of isopropyl alcohol, kimchi, and rotting jellyfish anus. I'm lucky to still be alive. At least I didn't swallow any (I spit), but I'll still have to worry about tongue absorption. Please remind me to say "no" next year. I complain about tasting bad wines at work all the time, but they're still a hell of a lot better than homemade...

I went to a going-away party for my friend John C. last night. That was nice. I didn't get there until later because I had to work, but I was still able to hang out for a while. I really love getting together with my friends. We have great times and lots of laughs reminiscing about the ol' WUMD days. I got about 30 mosquito bites last night, so I must have West Nile by now. John is moving to Austin, Texas to be with his girlfriend. He will be sorely missed. Austin is a great place for a music geek. I think he'll fit in pretty well. Good luck to you John! Last night also raised another question...
"How many doctors, engineers, lawyers, and computer analysts does it take to start a fire?" A lot...apparently.

I really hope that the shuttle Discovery lands safely early tomorrow morning. Let's all pray or do whatever you do and wish them a safe return to Earth.

I realized that I've already forgotten the new Pope's name. The fact that I haven't heard anything about him in a while may be a good sign...

I finally saw Mondovino last week. I enjoyed the wine documentary, but it would probably be extremely boring and confusing to someone who's not a wine geek/wine professional. Most of the people interviewed held very strong opinions of Robert Mondavi, Michel Rolland, and American thinking. I could take or leave Bob's wines, but he's an important figure in the industry. As for Michel Rolland I will defend him to the bitter end. (No pun intended) The wines that he consults on are infinitely better with his magic touch. I may not understand in great detail the process of "micro-oxygenation", but it sure makes wine taste damn good. I also enjoyed George...Robert Parker's farting bulldog. If you're not a big wine geek don't bother watching, but if you are...

I finally saw The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. It was good, but definitely not my favorite Wes Anderson film (that would be Rushmore). Willem Dafoe and Noah Taylor turned in fine performances as always. The use of Sigur Ros in the soundtrack was brilliantly matched with the "leopard shark" scene. Can't wait to see the new Jim Jarmusch film Broken Flowers with Bill Murray...

Can't wait to see The Aristocrats some time next week...
Here's a look at the cast. You can see the South Park clip from The Aristocrats here. WARNING! It's filthy!!!


I cooked up a great batch of pasta today. Gemelli pasta with marlin, sea scallops, garlic, tomatoes (just-picked from the garden), hot Hungarian banana peppers (just- picked from the garden), basil (just-picked from the garden), Vidalia onions, and vegetable stock. Mmm mmm good...

I guess the cop from the Village people was arrested when he was pulled over and the real cops found a loaded gun and cocaine in his car. I guess he was playing "Bad Cop". Speaking of the Village People...did you ever see Can't Stop the Music? One of the worst films I've ever seen starring the riveting superstar Olympian Bruce Jenner. His acting almost rivals Johnny Bench in the old Rust-Oleom commercials...

There are a bunch of people and cars moving in front of my house right now for the fireworks display. Thank unnamed deity that Dearborn Homecoming is almost over...
















The fireworks from my backyard.

Here's a list of my 12 favorite directors in no particular order...
1. Krzysztof Kieslowski
2. Akira Kurosawa
3. Wim Wenders
4. Jim Jarmusch
5. Alfred Hitchcock
6. Robert Altman
7. Julian Schnabel
8. Terry Gilliam
9. Lee Tamahori
10. Yimou Zhang
11. Stanley Kubrick
12. John Hughes

Who are your favorite directors? Let me know...

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I didn't know that Terry Gilliam directed as well. What, pray tell, has he directed? Yes, I could google, but why when I can ask?

Pope Benedict (the 13th or 14th or something like that). And don't worry because Father has trouble remembering every week and this week we prayed for Pope John Paul as well as Benedict, or whatever it is we're doing at that point.

Shit! Bill Murray is in the next Jim Jarmusch film? I'll have to think about that. Do I hate Bill Murray more than I love Jim Jarmusch films? Or vice versa?

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home