Monday, August 01, 2005

Monday night TV, "heat n' eat" Indian, and more bubkis...

First of all, I'm really happy that my friends Julie and Glen are having a fun and safe trip to England/Paris.

Huzzah and kudos to Michael for winning on Hell's Kitchen! He was my favorite since day one. There was more than one surprise in the end. The winner was supposed to win his/her own restaurant. Chef Gordon Ramsay proclaimed Michael the winner. Chef Ramsay recognized the talent in Michael and made him an offer...win his own restaurant or move to London to train under Gordon Ramsay to become a world-class chef. Michael chose to move to London. A pretty ballsy and cool move as far as I'm concerned. I liked Ralph (the other finalist) more and more as time progressed, but I've always been a Michael supporter. Maybe it's his quiet demeanor with tattoos and piercings everywhere... Good luck Michael!

I'm really loving the new No Reservations on the Travel Channel with Anthony Bourdain! But I also really love Anthony Bourdain. This week's episode took place in Iceland in January. Ouch! I'll try anything once, but I may pass on the opportunity to ever try fermented shark thanks to Mr. Bourdain's warning. I would try it though just to say that I did despite the warning that it's the most disgusting thing he's ever put in his mouth. I'd also like to try a "1000-year old egg" sometime. Last week Paris, this week Iceland, next week New Jersey...

I'm also really loving this new brand of Indian vegetarian foods that we're carrying at the store. The brand is called "Kitchens of India". I've already tried the Rajma Masala (Red Kidney Beans Curry), Pindi Chana (Chick Peas Curry), Palak Paneer (Spinach with Cottage Cheese and Sauce), and Dal Bukhara (Black Gram Lentils Curry). The last one for me to try is the Pav Bhaji (Mashed Vegetable Curry). The dishes come in sealed packets and may be microwaved in a dish, boiled in the packet, or heated on the stovetop. Just heat and eat... They're absolutely delicious, especially for the low price of $2.50 each! Although they might not quite be restaurant quality (pretty damn close) they're flippin' good! None of them are super spicy, but they have just enough gentle warmth to them with lots of flavor. Absolutely no preservatives, all natural, Kosher, vegetarian, and delicious!!! They're good by themselves, but they make a great meal on rice. I suppose that you could doctor them to make them hotter, but I'll take them as is. I love spicy foods, but I have cried on occasion in Indian and Thai restaurants. I know that I can order "hot" in some places and be fine, but I've ordered "medium" in a few places and I've been brought to absolute tears. It's a good burn though. "Please bring me a 7th pitcher of water and more rice please..." Actually I find mango lassis to be quite soothing. I am not being payed to endorse these fine "Ready to Serve" products from Kitchens of India, but I wholeheartedly recommend that you try them. Not bad for pre-packaged...I could almost become a vegetarian with the existence of Indian food...almost. At least they use butter...

The Detroit Mayoral Primary is tomorrow...I really hope that the voters show up in support of Freman Hendrix. Detroit...it's a mess.
Here's a picture of current Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick (to those of you not from the Detroit area). I couldn't find any pics of him partying with strippers...

Here's the guy that I hope will win...

Not that pictures mean anything...
Don't get me started on Sharon McPhail...
I can't vote in the election as I'm not a resident of the city, but I do have a strong opinion. Detroit's future is looking dim under the current leadership...

Apparently there's a rumor that David Lee Roth may take over Howard Stern's radio spot when he moves to satellite radio...
Diver Down! Diver Down!

Also in music news...
Patti Smith was made a Commander of the Order of the Arts by the French government. Cool!

Right now I'm drinking the 2002 Eric Ross Rauser Ranch Vineyard Old Vine Carignane from Lodi. It's pretty good, not fantastic, but pretty good. It's actually a little too warm in my flat right now and the alcohol level is showing a little more aggressively than it would under cooler conditions. Not bad...

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope that The Aristocrats comes to Detroit. After reading a few more reviews I really have to see this documentary based on a dirty joke. It's supposed to be absolutely disgustingly filthy and ubelievably hilarious. The scary thing is that Gilbert Gottfried is supposed to steal the movie. Sounds like my kind of film...

I'm really loving Netflix! Over 50,000 films to choose from. Outta sight!

It's hot again and our AC is broken...at least it's not as hot as it was a week ago. That was just downright icky.

Switzerland is almost two months away...can't wait. Here's a pic from Lugano (where I'll be visiting my aunt, uncle, and cousins)...

It's in Ticino...the Italian speaking Canton.
Ciao!

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

I thought that Ralph should have won, because he was a stronger manager and a good chef, but I do agree that Michael was more creative in his dishes. Also, if you need a window air unit, let me know. I have one you can borrow.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home