Thursday, August 04, 2005

Homeade wine is NOT good...

This weekend is going to suck toad vomit. This weekend is Dearborn Homecoming. Dearborn Homecoming sucks! It sucks a lot! It also conveniently takes place "just down the road a spell". It's at the park near my flat. It really screws up traffic and parking everywhere and makes it difficult to get into my own driveway. The worst part, however, is that I stupidly agreed to be chief judge of the homemade wine competition...for the third year in a row. Why can't I just say no? I should've learned my lesson the last two years. Being chief judge just means that I give a little speech to the other judges and tell them the proper way to taste and judge. The other judges really have no clue. Some don't even like wine. I've judged red wines the last two years. It's really amazing what people can come up with in their basements and garages...have you ever tasted possum bile and wet ashtray in a wine before? I have. At the last two competitions. The really sad thing is that the winemakers and their families are so proud of their wines and they watch you as you're tasting. It's really hard not to make a face sometimes...or gag. These people actually drink and enjoy their own swill. I guess it's sort of like your own fart not stinking... Why haven't they ever asked me to judge the pie or salsa contest? Remind me not to agree to this shit next year...

I watched American Masters tonight on Sun Records. It was pretty interesting. Sam Phillips has a bit of an ego, but deservedly so. There were several musicians performing old Sun tunes including Paul McCartney, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, Mark Knopfler...cool. Also Third Eye Blind and Matchbox Twenty...not cool. There was also an Italian recording artist by the name of Zucchero performing a song. I've never heard of the guy but he sounded like a Ray Charles/Joe Cocker hybrid. This guy actually sounded like he deserved a spot/performance. Third Eye Blind and Sun Records should not be used in the same sentence. Scotty Moore still plays a mean guitar...

I mentioned in a previous post how I'm pissed that I can't go see The Knitters on Friday, but now I'm doubly bummed as I found out that Phranc is the opening act. Remember Phranc??? I forgot about her. Now I really want to go...

AWESOME!!! Apparently The Aristocrats IS going to come to Detroit starting August 12 at the Main Art in Royal Oak. I am SO there!!! I'm sure that my friend Brian would be willing to go with me as it's supposed to filthier than sin? Any other takers???

I haven't seen Murderball yet...hope I get a chance before it leaves theaters...

Holy crap! ABC is coming with English Beat in September!

Here's a few pics from the garden...


Tomatoes a'poppin'


Holy crap that's a lot o' basil!


Caliente jalepenos!


Holy cukes!


Hot Hungarian banana peppers...they grow like weeds.




I saw Senator Joe Biden (D-New Hampshire)on The Daily Show last night and he said that he would be honored to run with or against John McCain. That could be cool...

There's a great article in the new Rolling Stone on America's "War on Drugs" and how the focus has been turned to marijuana. Don't worry about coke, meth, heroin, or anything...
Oh yeah! That's right! Dubya used to be a cokehead. How could I forget? The red states sure have...

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home