Saturday, July 08, 2006

Two Days Off in a Row- Redux




This was another one of those rare times where the stars aligned and I got two days off in a row. I think that makes for about twice in the last 7 years. Just having two days off in a week is an odd thing and I'm starting to adjust to it. I'm certainly enjoying it but missing the extra cash. Not a lot to report unfortunately as I do not live the life of a celebrity or a meter reader...

Yesterday I went out with friends to the Redford Theatre in Detroit to see It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. It's a great film and one of my all time favorite comedies. As the announcer before the film said it's a "super comedy". It was a lot of fun, but it's such a classic movie. I love the Redford Theatre. Where else can you see a great film for 4 bucks and get a real live organist playing before the film and during intermission? It's a non-profit theater run by volunteers...lots of fun! Unfortunately I'm usually never able to go as I usually have to work Friday and Saturday nights. It's a great theater! Check it out! Also showing this summer will be The Maltese Falcon, North by Northwest, and Goldfinger (as voted on by attendees). Not too shabby. Unfortunately I didn't win the 50/50 raffle...

Today I had a wonderful late lunch with friends. We went to Zingerman's Roadhouse and had another great meal. Today we had corndogs as an app. Yup! Corndogs! Of course they're kicked up a notch as it were. The beautifully golden-brown batter envelops Niman Ranch hot dogs. The Niman Ranch! They make hot dogs and I must say they're darn fine. What else do you expect from Zingerman's? Accompanying the trio of besticked bovine goodness were a trio of delightful mustards. Good stuff! When we were there for dinner a few weeks ago they ran homeade cheesesticks as an app. They didn't have any homemade mozzarella in-house today, but they were nice enough to make it with our choice of cheeses. I said "Chef's Choice" and we ended up getting some sublimely good stuff. They made it from their very own Manchester. It's a kick-ass double cream that's very rich and creamy with just a hint of wonderful stink! Delicious!!!

I then had a cup of the soup of the day which was also quite good. I was really tempted to get the VERY BEST New England Clam Chowder again, but the special sounded good. It was a spicy puree of sweet potato with red peppers, cumin, chiles, tortilla strips, and sour cream. Fan-flipping-tastic! As it was the lunch and not the dinner menu I was eyeing the sandwiches on the menu. I opted for the BBL&T. Here's the description from the menu...

"Rated one of the five best BLTs in the US by Atlantic Monthly. Both Wisconsin applewood-smoked and Arkansas peppered bacon on toasted Roadhouse bread with Hellmann's mayo, leaf lettuce and sliced tomato."

Indeed...it was flippin' great! The two bacons were wonderful, the toasted bread divine, the Hellman's Hellman's (best mayo anywhere...ask a chef), the tomatoes perfectly ripe, and the lettuce crisp. The double-cooked fries weren't too shabby either. Certainly the best BLT I've ever had. But that's what you get when you've got the absolute best ingredients.

Feeling a little piggy today I ordered both the citrus cake for dessert AND the chocolate shake made from Scharffen Berger chocolate. Hedonistic!

My friend's homemade hazelnut gelato was delicious too! Yum!

A nice pot of French press coffee was the perfect ending to the perfect lunch. I skipped wine today and got some Stoudt's Pale Ale. Good stuff! I very highly recommend you get your asses to Zingerman's Roadhouse toot sweet (I don't know how to spell that in English...please correct me). I guarantee that it's better than licking a stripper pole on Amateur Night...

I was invited to a party tonight, but I really don't like the majority of the people there. I'm stayin' in. That should be somewhat obvious as I'm posting right now...

Unfortunately I do have to work tomorrow (Sunday). That sucks, but it's a fair trade-off for having today off. I'm looking forward to the new season of Reno 911! tomorrow. Funniest damn show on TV if you ask me...

Random poll- Which older films make you laugh the most? Who are your favorite "old school" comedians/comedic actors? (Pre-1960's to you kids out there)

Cheers,
Jason

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Oooh, The Maltese Falcon and North by Northwest! I'm so up for those.

Katherine Hepburn in Philadelphia Story was a hoot.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Damn, The Maltese Falcon is the weekend I'm in Edmonton.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home