Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Disjointed as a skeleton in a tornado...

The Oscars (the ceremony) were sort of a snooze. I was really hoping that Al Gore would announce his candidacy...

J'OR has beaten his nearest opponent in the local mayoral race by an approximate count of 16,000 to 200. The other 9 candidates scored even lower. Wow!

I went to see Reno 911! Miami and I have to say that it was pretty darn funny. My favorite new slang that I picked up is "douche nozzle". Thanks Patton Oswalt!

See some amazing photographs here. (www.worldpressphoto.com)

There's this really scary looking motel (The Falcon Inn) on Michigan Ave. For years there was an equally scary looking Thai restaurant inside the confines of the motel. I was too pooped to cook last week so I was heading to Burger King/Taco Bell, but then remembered that an Indian restaurant opened in the space of the forme Thai restaurant. That should have been the ultimate warning, but I threw caution to the wind and decided to stop and get some carry out. The motel smells as nasty and is as dank as you could imagine. The new restaurant is protected from the accumulated 40 years of cigarette smoke and armpit by a door. The restaurant is very simply arranged, but I have to say the food was rather good. I'd definitely go back. It's not the greatest Indian food I've had, but it is certainly worthy of another visit. It's just in the worst/scariest location ever...

In late semi-response to Glen's blog regarding the whole "celebrity dinner" thing...
I'm going to mix it up a little bit from the norm.

Breakfast- I would like to start the day with my family in Switzerland. Barring the laws of time and physics and such it would be in the kitchen that belonged to Oma and Opa (grandma and grandpa). I have such wonderful childhood memories of that kitchen. The smiles and smells and love. Opa would still be alive and everyone would be healthy. Good bread, cheeses, and some Ovomaltine (Ovaltine). Watching cute little Oma slicing a loaf of bread against her chest and watching Opa sneak a little Kirsch into his coffee.

Coffee Break- I think I'd like to have coffee with the regional leaders that ruled during the existence of the Seven Wonders of the World, Stephen Hawking, Carl Sagan and the Dalai Lama. I'd ask how the pyramids were built (etc.), ponder over the vastness of the universe, and try to find peace. I'd also ask if anyone knew how the Nazca lines were made. Maybe I should have decaf...

Lunch- I'd love to have lunch with Julia Child and Jacques Papin. A very simple lunch with friendly chat. Maybe throw in Eric Ripert, Mario Batali, and Alice Waters. Maybe an omelette or something...

Afternoon Tea- JFK, RFK, Nelson Mandela, Abraham Lincoln, the Dalai Lama again, Ghandi, Mother Theresa, Jim Henson, Charles Schulz, Walter Cronkite, and Randy "Macho Man" Savage (for shits and giggles).

Dinner- Here we go with the big "dream list"... Nick Cave, Ian Curtis, Anthony Bourdain, Mark Twain, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Ralph Ellison, William Faulkner, Sarah Silverman, Scarlett Johansson, Keira Knightley, Naomi Watts, Cate Blanchett, Winona Ryder (circa Heathers), Thandie Newton, Noah Taylor, Willem Dafoe, Peter Sellers, Sir Alec Guinness, Kermit the Frog, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Bill Bryson, George Carlin, Audrey Hepburn, the Monty Python troupe, the Kids in the Hall troupe, Max von Sydow, Bill Murray, Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short. We'd have braised short ribs.

Late Dinner- This, along with breakfast, would be the most important meal of the day. This would take place at Andoni's with all of my friends from college and throughout my life. We'd be in the smoking section, but no one would be smoking and Lou would be our ever-attentive waitress. We'd laugh, talk, and mock after a concert or just for something to do. We'd stay entirely too long and have fun with a youth group gathered behind the accordian wall section. We'd get French Toast, eggs, burgers, clam strips, chef salads, mushroom pitas, sundaes, and more. It would be the most enjoyable meal ever. There's nobody I'd rather dine with than my friends. RIP Lou.

And to cap it all off would be breakfast in bed with Kate Winslet!!!



I stole the following meme from Kat...

1. Who was your best friend (in high school)? I didn't have many friends when I moved to Michigan. No best friend in high school.

2. What sports did you play? Ha ha ha!

3. What kind of car did you drive? A 1980 Plymouth Volare "Premiere Edition" (Slant 6-226) Good engine, ugly car.

4. It’s Friday night, where were you? At home watching 20/20 usually.

5. Were you a party animal? Nope.

6. Were you in the “In Crowd”? Hell no! The only crowd I was in was the "drama fag" crowd. And I wasn't even top "drama fag".

7. Ever skip school? Nope

8. Ever smoke? Nope

9. Were you a nerd? Yes indeed!

10. Did you get suspended/expelled? Nope

11. Can you sing the alma mater? I don't know if we even had one. At one time I could sing the fight song from my previous high school.

12. Who was your favorite teacher? Ms. Stasiw! (Advanced Placement English, Drama I, Drama II, and teacher-aide)

13. Favorite class? (Drama I and Drama II)

14. What was your school’s full name? For some anonymity I will not answer. However the letters are APHS. A public school.

15. School mascot? For some more anonymity I will refrain also, but I can say that it is a large South American predatory cat.

16. Did you go to Prom? Yes. The only dance I went to. Not a good night. My date got back together with her ex that night and had sex with him at the afterparty that night (at her house...I was in the basement watching The Holy Grail with everyone else.) She got preggers that night...

17. If you could go back and do it over, would you? Hell no! High school sucked! Worst part of my life! It may have been different if I hadn't moved. I liked my other school...but high school generally sucks.

18. What do you remember most about graduation? Not much. Pretty boring.

19. Favorite memory of your Senior Year? Acting in school plays and Drama Club. Being a teacher-aide during her zero-hour. (I had the room to myself and usually got to do my own homework. Once in a great while I actually graded papers.)

20. Were you ever posted up on the senior wall? What's a senior wall? I was Student of the Month in middle school and had my picture posted. I was highlighted in the school paper as a freshman when I lived in Oregon. My photo was taken with a girl I had a crush on (sitting on a bench). Nice!

21. Did you have a job your senior year? I worked at the local public library.

22. Who did you date? Ha ha ha!

23. Where did you go most often for lunch? Cafeteria. Didn't have too many friends but I often ate lunch with a junior named Brandt. Turkey on Jewish rye with a Kudos granola bar and a Capri Sun.

24. Have you gained weight since then? Yes

25. What did you do after graduation? I became an occasional blogger. Look at me!


You Are Strawberry Cake

Fresh, sassy, and romantic.
You're a total flirt, who never would turn down a sugary treat.
Occasionally you're a bit moody - but you usually stay sweet!


You Are 0% Homophobic

You're open minded, tolerant, and accepting.
And you're not homophobic in the least :-)


You Are a Smart American

You know a lot about US history, and you're opinions are probably well informed.
Congratulations on bucking stereotypes. Now go show some foreigners how smart Americans can be.


Random poll- What's your favorite pasta shape?

ITMFA!

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Surprise! I'm also 0% homophobic!

I just buy angel hair pasta because it cooks in 3 minutes and I'm all about fast and efficient when I cook, because I'm generally hungry now!

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home