Saturday, January 08, 2005

A couple random compliments and some celebrity stuff...

I went to get an oil change today and just thought I'd like to pass on a good word about Loveday's Oil Change in Southgate (Northline near Allen Rd.). I've been going to Loveday's as long as I've been driving. It may be a little bit out of the way, but it's a great operation. It's always speedy and friendly. They're family owned and exhibit great pride in the work they do. I'd just like to thank everyone at Loveday's for faithfully servicing me for over 16 years. No pun intended.

That being said, I'd like to thank another Downriver establishment as well. I've been getting my hair cut at Bob's Hair Salon since I moved to Michigan in 1987. The cuts are good, the talk is spirited, and boy howdy is it cheap. It's up to an all time high of $12.00 a cut. Don't let the name fool you. It's a barber shop. It's on Pelham (Allen Rd.) between Ecorse and Champaign in Taylor. Bob died a couple of years ago, but his daughter Renee and coworker Reyna (SP?) both do a wonderful job. I remember when I first started going there in high school Bob used to offer people a beer from the back when they walked in. Times have changed. I haven't been entirely loyal to Bob's, I must admit. I once got my hair cut by Kimmy (a wonderful and kind former bartender at 3D who I haven't seen in years). I hope that she's doing well. I've also had my hair cut by Pamela a few times when she worked next door to the store. Both Kimmy and Pamela did amazing jobs, but they worked in "real" salons and the cuts were a lot more. Kudos to Bob's Hair Salon for shearing me for over 17 years.

I was listening to WDET driving home from the restaurant job and they mentioned that Room Full of Blues will play live on the air tomorrow. That reminded me of a time when I actually waited on Room Full of Blues several years ago at "crappy anonymous small crazy family-owned Italian restaurant without a liquor license". The food was okay, and the pizza was actually great. Too bad it was run by a crazy Italian lady. Anyway...this big group of middle-aged men with long hair and leather came in to eat. It took me about two seconds to realize that they were a band. I asked them if they were and they indeed replied "Yes. How could you tell?". I was impressed when they told me who they were because I actually knew who they were and they were very good. I just had no idea what anyone in the band looked like. The guys were really nice and they made a slow evening at the restaurant more enjoyable. It's always a bonus when a "celebrity/celebrities" is/are nice. That got me to thinking about some other celebrities that I've waited on in the past. It's been a while since I haven't waited tables in over 5 years. Here is a list of some celebrities that I've waited on (with or without comments). You'll notice that most of them barely scrape the "B-List".

David Leisure- Really nice. An absolute joy.
David Thomas (Wendy's)- Not very nice. No wonder he died.
Alan Thicke- Very friendly. Nice guy. Apparently he loves apple pie with caramel sauce (no nuts).
Kenny G- As boring as his music.
Doc Severinsen- I actually didn't wait on him. I was waiting tables at the Henry Ford Estate-Fair Lane Mansion at the time. I was standing in the Butler's Pantry in the kitchen and he poked his head in. He asked a few questions about the kitchen and I gave him a mini-tour of the kitchen and Dining Room. He had his trumpet case in hand. How cool is that?
Hal Linden- DICK!!!!!!!! You were a great Barney Miller on TV, but you're a real asshole in real life.
The guy that played Jason in the Friday the 13th movies- Very nice.
The guy that played "Bubba" in Forrest Gump- Okay.
Pat Boone (during his "metal" phase)- I had to keep from snickering.
Newt Gingrich (when he was Speaker of the House)- I waited on Mr. Gingrich privately in a private room guarded by Secret Service. The Secret Service guys were pretty cool when they realized I wasn't "packing". He was surprisingly nice and appreciative. He didn't eat his vegetables.
Vinnie Johnson- Nice.
Mort Crim- I waited on him a few times. Very nice.
Bill Bonds- Hey asshole! I want the $3.00 you owe me!
Dr. Jack Kevorkian- VERY NICE!!! A warm and genuine person. Pork chops, well-done.
Tom Kite- Pretty nice for a pro-golfer.
Lou Holtz- He was too busy talking to co-diners for me to guage him well. The crowd loved him.
Bill Laimbeer- Nice guy.
Gil Girard- Nice. Where the hell have you been?
John Klekamp- Splendidly nice. I waited on him a few times.

Yeah...it's a pretty lame list. I've met a lot of bigger celebrities than these, but these are the ones I've waited on. The biggest kick was probably meeting Doc Severinsen.

I got an e-mail from my friend Jordan (with whom I traveled Australia with). He's a very talented young wine-writer. He'll be famous some day. Anyway, he commented that I wasn't writing about wine enough in my blog. I sort of stopped because I know who most of my readers are and they really don't care about the wine stuff. I'll try to write more about wine, Jordan. Just for you though.

Today's wine recommendation- 2002 Finca de Luzon $19.99
This big and chewy red from the Jumilla district of Spain is a blend of cabernet sauvignon, tempranillo, and monastrell (mourvedre). It's rich with dripping black fruit, licorice, cherry, and cigar box/cedary spice. The finish lingers and the tannins are firm. Delicious stuff. Try with a leg of lamb studded with garlic cloves or a thick, grilled ribeye with your favorite spice-rub.

Until the next bottle...
Cheers,
Jason

PS- Oh yeah...Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt are splits. WTF?!?!?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jordan says . . . thanks for the mention. And for the wine review. I agree on the Luzon, by the way.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Mykelti Williamson played Bubba. Whoever the hell that is!!!!

And I enjoy your wine talk, even though I know so little about it. You could say, "Kathleen, you'd like this one." ;-)

9:55 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

Jason,

I forgot to tell you my Loveday's story. I have been going there since 1984 and have always loved the service. Over the holidays I went there for an oil change and radiator flush and while I was waiting the guys were checking my tires(which included wiping the salt and grime off of them) and they discovered that I had an "Impact break" on one of my tires that was about to lead to a high speed blowout. They told me to drive immediately, slowly, to the tire store. I did and I am thankful for their consistently excellent service.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home