Monday, January 03, 2005

Happy 2005 and all that other stuff...

Hello y'all. Happy 2005! Let's hope that this year proves to be better than the last.

I'm sick and tired (literally). I've got a horrendous cold that really kicked in yesterday and now it's in raging. I'm so stuffed up that it's silly. My head wants to explode. I also haven't been sleeping well for about 5 days and I'm exhausted. But enough of that...

New Year's Eve was a little unusual this year. I worked both jobs this year. No rest for the wicked. It was insanely busy at the restaurant for hours, but then it died. There were probably only about 5 or 6 tables left at midnight. I guess people had better things to do than hang out at Andiamo. Perhaps they were fearful of getting pulled over. There were lots of state cops out. I'd like to say that I slept in on New Year's Day, but seeing as I didn't sleep very well, I just laid there. I made myself some nice braised beef shanks with some pasta and asparagus for a decent New Year's meal. Then I went to Julie and Glen's for a relaxing and fun "sweat pants" party which included our gift exchange. Thanks for Mash-Season 3, Davo. ;) My friends are great for lots of reasons, but I think humor is a key among us. Whether we're rehashing old stories, creating new ones, telling jokes, or making cracks at each other, we have lots of fun together. We laugh a lot. They say that laughter is the best medicine. I guess we've got a good thing going.

Sunday sucked monkey balls. I worked almost 12 hours on my day off trying to implement our new computer system at work. There were LOTS of bugs, which held us up half the day. Needless to say we didn't finish in one day. It was even worse today (and we had customers to boot). Oy!

Resolutions? No thanks. I've never been good at meeting the requirements. Maybe I set the bar too high, ie. lose weight, date more, etc. I should be realistic. I resolve to swear more and more creatively. I really don't need resolutions as long as I live up to certain self-inflicted standards. I try to be a kind, helpful, giving person. It's pretty simple. I guess my mantra should be "Be nice". If I can be a good person in 2005 that's good enough for me.

I posted earlier about Tsunami Relief. It's nice to know that the amount raised on amazon.com for American Red Cross International fund has been far surpassed. It was almost $7 million when I last posted, and now it's past $12 million. This is just from amazon.com members. I also donated to two other organizations through a little research and dart throwing. I also gave to the Association for India's Development, Inc. I like what I read about them and I was able to earmark all the money for tsunami relief. I also gave to Direct Relief International. They actually break down what is being shipped and offer pictures. I'm comfortable with the choices I made as far as the money going to the appropriate places. I'm a little skeptical about the Red Cross, but it was easy enough. I went to the Doctors Without Borders site, but they're comfortable with the amount that's already been donated. That's heartening. I'll be sure to give to their general fund. All of these groups do great work. I'm happy to hear about the record-setting worldwide generosity. Something to smile about in 2005, although it follows the largest disaster in recent world history. I think the tsunami puts the exclamation point on the shitty year that 2004 was. I mentioned before that 2004 was "okay", not great, but "okay" on the personal front. It's the national and international headlines that made it such a stinker.

I wish everyone a happy, healthy, prosperous 2005. May all your dreams come true! Wishing you a year without Ashlee Simpson, Paris Hilton, William Hung, and Dubya.

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home