Tuesday, December 28, 2004

My favorite film of 2004 and why I hate Hummers...

I hate Hummers (the vehicles, not the fun kind)! I thought that they were just for guys with small penises, but now even soccer moms are driving them (maybe to protect their precious Echo Boomers). I drive a Hyundai. That means I'm poor with a small... Anyway, Hummers really piss me off. They're certainly larger than necessary and guzzle way too much gas. They're ugly. They take up more than one parking spot. The people who drive them are obnoxious. That all being said check out this really cool website (www.fuh2.com). It's pretty damn hilarious!

And now on to something a little more serious...
my MOVIE OF THE YEAR 2004
There were some pretty good films out in '04. Check out Hero and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. But my favorite film of 2004 is...

JAPANESE STORY

Japanese Story is an absolutely beautiful and gut-wrenching film starring the amazingly talented Toni Collette. It was released in 2003 in Australia, but not released to the U.S. market until 2004. I'm not going to give much away about the plot as I don't want to give anything away. This stunningly beautiful film is directed by Sue Brooks and stars Toni Collette and Gotaro Tsunashima (in his first ever role). It is filmed entirely in Western Australia and the cinematography/photography is absolutely breathtaking. Essentially it's a love story between two unlikely individuals only put together for work purposes. Mr. Tsunashima plays the son of a very important Japanese businessman and Ms. Collette is a geologist that must drive him around the Outback/desert and satisfy all of his whims because they really can't afford to lose the account/sale. The first and most important difference between the two is the language barrier. This is soon overcome and it is realized that the biggest difference is indeed cultural. The two don't get along together at first, but as they are forced together and must overcome obstacles together they eventually develop a very pure, passionate, moving relationship. I'm not going to give away the ending as it's a bit of a shocker. The first time I watched this film I was thoroughly enjoying it and then it's as if someone took a sledgehammer to my ribcage. WTF?!?!? There is good and convincing closure at the very end, which makes it a bit more bearable. Let's just say that if you don't cry at the end you are the WORLD'S BIGGEST ASSHOLE.

Toni Collette's perfomance is nothing short of genius. It blew me away and I've been a fan of hers for years. The photography is stunning and the colors are mesmerizing. The direction is bloody fantastic. The acting is unparalleled. The script is fascinating and original. It's damn bloody brilliant. It did win 8 Australian Film Instituted Awards including Best Film, Best Cinematography, and Best Actress (Toni Collette). This is an absolutely amazing film demonstrating the love and passion that two people can share in spite of a very obvious culture clash. It is beautiful, poignant, emotional, devastating, and pure. This is going into my Top 10 Movies Of All Time list. This movie will affect you. I'm not just saying this because I'm a fan of all things Aussie. This movie is an emotional steamroller. Hop on board.

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

Love that FUH2 website, Jason. I especially like the dreaded "double flip offs"!!

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home