Wednesday, January 12, 2005

"Did you hear the one about the drunken Irishman?"...

I don't know what the hell to post about. Should I not bother posting? I did a hear a couple of songs from the new Marianne Faithfull album on WDET just now. They sounded amazing. Glen blogged about it earlier and he gave it a thumbs up. I'm REALLY looking forward to it after hearing those two songs.

I posted a poll the other day regarding who the uglier singer is...Lemmy or Shane MacGowan? I've only gotten two replies thus far and it's a tie. Speaking of Shane MacGowan I finally got a DVD copy of If I Should Fall From Grace. It's essentially a documentary/biography of Shane MacGowan with excerpts of live shows and videos. It's really something else. I'm a huge Pogues/Shane MacGowan fan and I was fully aware that Shane is a full-on raging alcoholic. But I was taken aback when I saw how bad it really is. Like...holy shit! There was not a single bit of sober interview footage. None. I'm amazed that his wife is still with him. She says that it wouldn't be the same without alcohol. Yeah, she might understand a word that he's saying. It's amazing how such a hardcore perpetual staggering drunk could be such an AMAZING songwriter. Check out the DVD. It's pretty cool. If you thought you knew how bad a drinker he is, you have no idea until you see this.

I picked up the re-issues of Red Roses for Me and If I Should Fall From Grace With God at Glen's the other day. I'm waiting for Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash, Peace and Love, and Hell's Ditch to come in. I also picked up a mini box-set from Magazine, a Nina Simone 2 CD anthology, the new Los Lonely Boys, some Yo Yo Ma, a Nick Cave EP, the newest Flogging Molly, and a few other random things.

The new computer system is still being implemented at work. Oy.

Today's wine recommendation- Casta Diva ($35ish for 500ml)
I don't remember what vintage we're currently selling or the exact price (I actually post at home, not from work), but it's damn good. Cast Diva is a fortified muscat from the Alicante region of Spain and it's been one of my favorite dessert wines for years. It has a golden straw color and a beautiful nose of honey, pineapple, white flowers, and marmalade. It has gobs of honey, pineapple, apricot, marmalade, and subtle marzipan on the palate. The finish sails on and on. Try this nectar of the gods with a homemade pineapple meringue pie or with a custard flan with caramelized pineapple.

Until the next bottle...
Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home