Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy St. Patrick's Day!- The end of the world is nigh and tales of brisket braising...

Happy St. Patrick's Day y'all! Unfortunately I've got to work this year. Last year was the first year since I turned 21 that I didn't go to the Gaelic League to celebrate. Forget the Old Shillelagh, Nemo's, and the rest...the Gaelic League is the best party in town. Where else can one see 8 year olds and 80 year olds alike quaffing pints of Guinness...with no green beer in sight? Through the years the number of my friends attending the fete to end all fetes has dwindled to essentially myself. I certainly save a lot of money by not going...maybe next year.

However, I did braise myself a lovely brisket this evening (corned beef). It came out quite nice. I'll enjoy that tomorrow with a pint or two of Guinness when I get home from work. While I'm on the subject of food I must mention the great sale that Farmer Jack had on pork loin last week. They had pork loins on sale for $1.69/lb (4 1/2lb loins on average). Awesome! I bought one and roasted it to perfection. It was so good that I went back and bought another one before I was half way through eating the first one. It's flavorful, tender, moist, and pretty dang lean. "I love pork!" You can quote me on that. I actually have a t-shirt from gratefulpalate.com that professes my love of porcine flesh. Go to the site and check out the truly awesome "Bacon of the Month" club. Dan Philips, the owner, is a hero of mine. Not only is he a guru of smoked and cured pork, he also imports some of the greatest wines in the world (all Australian).

My favorite new TV show of the season is House on Fox (Tuesdays at 9:00PM). The main character, Dr. House, looks a lot like a British actor that I've seen in lots of random things. Hugh Laurie, who plays the role of Dr. House, looks a lot like this guy I've seen in British films and Masterpiece Theatre. I was flipping channels tonight to find Hugh Laurie being interviewed by Dennis Miller. Turns out Hugh Laurie is the British actor that I've seen in just about everything. He pulls off the most perfect American accent in the show that I'm truly floored. He said that the accent is by far the hardest part of the job. Great f'in show. Check it out!

The horsemen are getting closer...once again...
The Senate approved oil drilling in Alaska by a vote of 51-49.
The snow cap on Mt. Kilimanjaro has melted.
Robert Blake has been acquitted.
Ashlee Simpson is still sucks.

...we're fucked.

At least Condoleeza Rice has denied that she's going to run for President in 2008. I'd love to see a black woman in the Presidency, but I'd sooner carve my eyes out with a spork than have Condoleeza as Prez. That girl ain't right.

Today's wine recommendation- A pint or more of Guinness and a shot of Redbreast (or Jameson's, or Bushmill's, or Tullamore Dew, or...).

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home