Wednesday, April 13, 2005

10 signs that I'm getting old...

I'm only 32, but here are 10 signs that I'm getting old...

1. I'd rather sit than stand for a concert.
2. I've got a few weird white hairs in my dark-blondish goatee.
3. I complain about the music kids listen to these days. Not, however, because it's too weird, experimental, or loud. Rather, because it's too lame, limp, quiet, or generally shitty. I'd love to see the reaction of an Ashlee Simpson or 3 Doors Down fan listening to Einsturzende Neubauten or some older Ministry. There's still good music being made today, but a lot of it is being listened to by freaks like me.
4. I have freaky "old man" nose hairs. I didn't think that I'd have to trim my nose hairs for another 20 years or so.
5. I find myself using expressions like...
"Back in my day..."
"When I was your age..."
"You kids have it so easy today..."
(I haven't caught myself yet using the "uphill both ways, barefoot..." story yet.)
6. I have to read several magazines to keep up with the current slang.
7. "Preferred Driver" savings on my car insurance.
8. Although I wasn't born when John F. Kennedy was assassinated, I do have a "Kennedy" moment. Perhaps the closest thing people of my generation have to relate to the Kennedy assassination is the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion. I remember where I was. I was in the 8th grade in Mrs. Pitt's Algebra class at Waldo Middle School in Salem, Oregon when the announcement was made. My science teacher (Mrs. Whitley) was showing it live during her class. I was a member of the Young Astronauts of America and she was our sponsor/leader. I remember seeing her cry. I also remember the first take-off and landing of the Columbia. Where were you when the Challenger exploded?
9. Kids should be spanked, not given "time-outs".
10.My balls have finally dropped.

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

8th Grade, Jason? Damn. I was walking through the University Mall and whoever was DJing the radio station announced it. I remember feeling like my heart had been ripped out of my chest. I also remember having a moment of silence shortly thereafter (within the week, maybe, or the funeral maybe) and everybody in the Mall was actually silent.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home