Thursday, September 08, 2005

Leadership or lack thereof, Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, DFT, and Big-Ass Aussie wines...

Not much going on...

I enjoyed this opinion column by Jack Lessenberry in this week's Metro Times about this country's lack of leadership during this time of crisis.

This is pretty damn funny and alarmingly intelligent. Read it if you have any opinion regarding the theory of creationism being taught in public schools vs. evolution. (Also from Jack Lessenberry's column.)




I just got the new Detroit Film Theatre schedule for September-December and it looks pretty good. It appears to be the season of Louis Malle. This Sunday is Au Revoir Les Enfants. I'm supposed to have plans this Sunday, but I just might have to shorten them. Au Revoir Les Enfants is an incredible film. It's touching, poignant, powerful, and artfully directed by a true master of the medium. This film will have an affect on you. It's that good...and you will cry. I've never seen it on the big screen, but now I've got a shot...
If you haven't seen it be sure to rent, Netflix, or buy it...
I'd also like to see Elevator to the Gallows by Malle on Sunday, but I don't think I'd be able to make it.

Scary news...
For the sake of curiousity the other day I was googling a few names of people I knew in elementary school. Turns out this friend who I used to play Battlestar Galactica, Dukes of Hazzard, and The A-Team with on the playground is in jail awaiting trial on 9 counts of Sodomy I. Holy crap! I don't even know what to say to that...

I also found out that someone I went to high school with in Michigan died of a heart attack. He was a top scholar-athlete (swimmer) and was involved directly with a large university's athletic program as a sort of scholastic/athletic counselor. Ouch! Remind me not to google any more names...

Today's wine recommendations-
2003 Tir na N'og Old Vine McLaren Vale Grenache- Damn! This is probably the best 100% grenache I've ever tasted. The color is insanely dark for a grenache (opaquely purple and black) and the nose is formidable with notes of blackberry, dark cherry, creosote, cigar box, and vanilla. It weighs in at an impressive 15.8% ABV and delivers a whollop of jammy blackberry, blueberry, allspice, and cedar on the expansive palate. The finish on this monster grenache is mightily impressive and lingering. This is a damn good wine! Damn good! Try it with leg of lamb or blackened roadkill.
$27.99 (but very limited availability)

2002 Rolf Binder "Hales" Barossa Valley Shiraz- Double damn!! This wine is balls-out big! (Especially for it's reasonable price.) It's not quite as viscous and syrupy as some of its more heavily oaked Barossa stablemates from the Grateful Palate portfolio, but it is a friggin' deliciously balanced beast of a wine. The nose is full of blackberry, blueberry, creosote, melted licorice, white pepper, and cassis. It offers up a ton of jammy blackberry/blueberry fruit with notes of pepper, forest floor, cedar, and subtle tar. The finish is long satiating. This is a new offering from Veritas/Rolf Binder and the cheapest wine in their line-up (compared to the 98 pt. WA rated "Hanisch" that sells for $125.00). This wine is a steal! Note: It throws a fair amount of sediment. You may want to decant it, but just remember that the chewy bits are good for you.
$18.99 (Very, very limited, but worth the search...)

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home