Thursday, May 04, 2006

I love the smell of new car in the morning...it smell's like victory.

Oy! My ass is kicked. Work is driving me insane. I've been damn busy and I'm in desperate need of a vacation. I guess it's time to start planning something. Even if I don't go anywhere I definitely need time away from work. My brain is mush.

Let's see...
Last week I bought a new car. My old car was paid off and the engine was still in great shape, but a bunch of little (mostly cosmetic) things were wrong with it. The little things kept compiling and those things certainly add up ($). I've sort of been toying with the idea of getting a new one for a while and then I impulsively decided to just do it. The American economy is in the shitter, the Detroit economy is in especially bad shape, but my own home town of Dearborn is in a very scary place. I always felt a little guilty about owning a foreign car here, but it was an economical choice above anything. I'm not a big fan of any certain automotive company one way or another, but living in Dearborn I felt guilted into supporting the VERY LOCAL economy. I bought my first Ford. (For the record I have driven 3 Chrysler products) I opted for the newish Ford Fusion SE. I also opted for the bigger V6 and sport package. Black. It's quite a nice car. Maybe most exciting to me is the fact that I've finally got a CD player in my car (in-dash 6 CD changer no less). I'm really loving my new car right now. That may change when I have to make my first payment. I'll definitely be a little poorer for the next 5 years, but damn I'll look good driving my sweet ride.

Also last week I threw my dinner party. It went pretty well. Here's a peak at the menu.

Assorted Crostini, cheeses, olives

First Course- Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup with Parmesan Crouton and Fresh Morel Garnish

Main Course- Fennel Pollen dusted Pork Loin wrapped with Prosciutto di Parma over Shaved Fennel
Mascarpone and Roasted Garlic Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes
Grilled Asparagus
Porcini and Pea Arancini (risotto balls) with Mushroom Palamina Sauce (for my vegetarian friend)

Salad Course- Mixed Greens with Blueberry Vinaigrette, Toasted Hazelnuts, Red Onion, Dried Blueberries, Bosc Pear, Goat Cheese

Dessert Course- A Trio of Cheesecake, Broiled Macadamia Nut Pineapple Crunch, and homeade pineapple/orange ice cream

I also made my triple chocolate fudge brownies for my guests to take home. The loaf of bread that I ordered from Paris was very damn good, but by the time Sunday rolled around it was pretty hard. I love a good gum-cutting crust, but the rest of it was a little tough to eat. It was baked on Tuesday, arrived on Thursday, and was mostly consumed on Sunday. The quality was most excellent though. Wines served were Louis de Sacy Rose NV Champagne, 2004 DeLisio McLaren Vale Grenache, 2004 Marquis Philips Shiraz 9, and Hardy's Botrytis Semillon. Yum! We had some good laughs. It was fun.

Work is bollocks right now. It just plain and simply sucks! About the only reprieve I'll get is judging at a wine show in Canada for a couple of days (only across the river in Windsor). That will be demanding and wine-related, but it should be fun...I won't be at work anyway.

There are a lot of dumbasses in this world. There are 20 specifically that I can think of that were out on the town last Friday. At the restaurant job we had a reservation for 20 people at 7:30 (along with a 26, an 11, a 10, and various other sizes). It was 8:30 and they were still a no show. One of the managers called to verify the reservation and the person said that they were coming. About 15 minutes later they called back and said that they meant to make their reservation at another restaurant. The kitchen was obviously happy, but the two servers scheduled to wait on them got screwed. Fargin' idiots!

About the only things keeping me sane this week have been GREAT episodes of The Sopranos, 24, House, Law and Order: SVU, and Lost. This season has seen some of the greatest writing in TV history. WTG Vito for finding a little New Hampshire nookie! The biggest nailbiter is still 24. What an awesome season! Omar Epps should get an Emmy for his performance this week on House. Damn!

Another great opinion piece by Jack Lessenberry in this week's Metro Times.

The "WTF?!? of the Day" is...Kathy Griffin will be performing at the Max M. Fisher Music Center. WTF?!? I wonder if Carrot Top and Megadeth are opening for her???

This week I need to get a new suit. I have a couple of events coming up and the Native American inspired lesbian commitment ceremony to attend. No rest for the wicked...

I need a vacation, a long drive in my new car, a large sum of money, and a massage. (I've never had a massage and I don't know if I actually need one, but I imagine that I've got so much pent up stress that I could burst like a supernova...or at least let loose a really, really big fart). It doesn't look like our "Up North" vacation is going to happen this year, so I'll have to figure out another way to relax. Last years trip was the most relaxed I've been in a long, long time. I really don't have the money this year to do any major travel, so it looks like I'll be staying in Michigan. Although a weekend in Chicago isn't entirely out of the question. There was also a mention of possibly going to Traverse City with another friend for a few days with a free stay in a kick-ass house. We'll see...

That's all for now. My brain can't handle any more...

ITMFA! President Asshat can suck my left one!

Cheers,
Jason

Random Poll- Which "Out of Print" movie would you most like to see released on DVD? (I'm waiting for Erik the Viking and Decline of Western Civilization Part I)

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Grand Prix - greatest racing movie ever made and the only one NOT on DVD. BASTARDS!

You bought a Ford? And didn't call me for the X-Plan??? I hope you got it through someone else!!!

Dinner was fabulous, you know. And the brownies are too good for words. Thank you so much!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

You're welcome. I did get the X-Plan through someone else. Thanks for the offer.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Glen said...

I've been eating the leftover mashed potatoes all week...and those brownies could kill!!

The movie I would most like to see on DVD is Summer in the Canyon starring Christy Canyon.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

A fine actress...

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason,

Thanks again for the dinner-- it was most excellent in every way. Your attention to detail is amazing... a truly fantastic meal served in a great atmosphere. Plus it was just so nice to relax & hang out with everybody and have some well-deserved laughs for a change. We seriously need to have these get-togethers more often.

Oh, and the brownies?... DAMN, BEEOTCH!!! That's a little taste of choco heaven right there!

Nice job man!!!

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home