Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Vote early, vote often...

...Chicago style.

Today was an election day and of course I did my part once again. It was a primary election, but there was also a district judicial election to consider. I did have a favorite candidate (that I actually know), but more importantly there was a candidate that I despise whose family roots are deep and ugly in this town. The biggest problem is that there are six candidates and that spreads the votes out a bit. I just hope that there are enough forward thinking minds in this town to stop this demon from becoming our district judge. No results are in yet...in fact there really aren't any reports from Wayne County coming in at all yet...

Another note on voting...
I got up early and went to my polling place and the turnout seemed even lower than usual (I realize that it's only a primary). Most concerning though is the average age of the volunteer election officials. The average age of the volunteers on hand was probably about 90. No joke. I am not trying to belittle or question the ability of the older generation, but there is a lot of confusion. The volunteers understandably are generally older, but they never seem to get replaced. They just keep going and going. The problem with the geriatric officials is that there seems to be much confusion. I find that they often can't answer voter questions and they seem to have great difficulty explaining things or operating the voter machines. I really appreciate their efforts, but it seems that there needs to be better supervision. I wonder if this phenomonon has thrown off any election results??? I hope that you did your civic duty...

It's down to the two finalists of Hell's Kitchen... Heather and Virginia. It's the "Battle of the Bitches". I am NOT saying this because the finalists are two women. I don't think that either of these people deserve a restaurant. I don't think that anyone this season does. Although last years finalists were both men, I think that both of them were far more deserving to make it to the end and win a restaurant. I'm calling it the "Battle of the Bitches" simply because both of these girls are bitches. On a technical basis I think that Heather deserves to win, but her attitude and general whiny attitude only rivals Virginia. They're both whiny, bitchy, underhanded wrecks. I wouln't entrust a restaurant to either of these miserable candidates. Early on in the season I actually favored Heather until she opened her damn mouth. I don't know if I can watch the last episode...

I saw Talladega Nights last week and it was HILARIOUS!!! I was actually most impressed with Sacha Baron Cohen's performance (Ali G., Borat). Stupid, but funny as hell! There was a hilarious trailer for a Borat movie coming in the Fall. Looks like I'll get to see Clerks II this weekend. I'm also hoping to catch Little Miss Sunshine soon... "Shake and bake!" Sometimes I need a change-up from Kurosawa, Kieslowski, or Truffault and need some good old fashioned stupidity...

I am so glad that the Dearborn Homecoming festival is over. Good riddance for another year!

My vacation starts in about a week and a half. I can't wait! I'll be laying low for most of it, but I will be going "Up North" for a few days with a good friend. I'm bringing some good wine and hope to hit a couple of restaurants (Stella and Lulu's) and one winery while I'm up there (Chateau Fontaine). Something tells me that this is going to be a long-ass week.

Work is not cool. Not cool at all. I'm not sure what the future holds. Can't really talk about it...

I watched Syriana last night. Pretty good. There isn't a bed big enough to hold both big oil and our administration.

Here's a neat anti-Bush site with a countdown and everything.

If you haven't already...
VERY FUNNY! Go to google and type "failure" and then click the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button. It's worth it!

Although I think that movies with Will Farrell about NASCAR are funny, I do not dig NASCAR! I'm very disappointed... Superstar chef Mario Batali, one of the very few celebrity chefs that I truly admire and respect, is admittedly a big fan of NASCAR. That so sucks! Not only is he a fan, but he's released a NASCAR-themed tailgating cookbook. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Even worse is that it's his fastest selling cookbook yet. He may be one of the best cooks on this planet, and he may be married into the Coach family, but a NASCAR lover? That's just sad. I wonder if there's a recipe for blood orange and fennel risotto with Skoal drippin's and BBQ pork rinds?

I'm so upset about this Mario Batali thing that I've got to sign off. I think mayble I'll burn my autographed cookbook...

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I was very bad and completely forgot to vote. Thankfully, the Evil Wench didn't make it out of the primaries.

It doesn't help that most of the polls in this town are located in old folks' homes. Last election the old people were slower than usual.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home