Thursday, August 03, 2006

Time to make dinner. This quiz is making me hungry...

I stole this from Kat who borrowed it from someone else. Stealing memes is part of the life cycle. It's about food so you know I'm game...

The Food Meme

How do you like your eggs?

Any style really...just not over hard. Scrambled soft with heavy cream and organic free-range eggs (I don't order scrambled in a restaurant unless I'm at Bill's Cafe in Sydney, Australia where they know how to scramble them correctly) are probably my fave. Sunny-side up, over-easy, poached, 3-minute, soft-boiled, hard-boiled, or coddled will do just fine. Eggs rule!

How do you take your coffee/tea?

Black coffee and tea.

Favorite breakfast foods:

Bacon, bacon, bacon, eggs, and bacon. Thick toasted crusty bread with Normandy butter and preserves.

Peanut butter: smooth or crunchy?

Crunchy!

What kind of dressing on your salad?

Homemade vinaigrette at home (Whatever vinegar I'm in the mood for, EVOO, S+P, shallots, Dijon mustard...maybe a little sugar or honey. The possibilities are endless. It depends on what's in my salad.) I usually order a vinaigrette/balsamic vinaigrette in restaurants unless they have an interesting house dressing. No creamy dressings...

Coke or Pepsi?

I grew up in a Pepsi house, but I'm a Coke man now.

You're feeling lazy. What do you make?

Sandwiches, re-heat leftovers, or frozen dinners.

You're feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order?

Bacon, onion, and mushroom with garlic crust if available.


You feel like cooking.

I love to cook. It depends on what I'm in the mood for, how much time I have, what's seasonally available, etc. I make a fair amount of pasta. I can stretch leftovers for a while.



Do any foods bring back good memories?

Taco Time Crisp Meat Burritos, Arctic Circle Mushroom and Swiss burgers, Ramke (a potato dish with bacon that my mom would make), my mom's homemade pizza, pretty much anything my mom would make. She's a great cook! Mo's New England clam chowder and onion rings (Lincoln City, Oregon), crab legs (Northern California in the Redwoods near Crescent City), anything my Oma (grandma) would make in Switzerland, Bill's scrambled eggs in Sydney, still-warm croissants from the Central Market in Adelaide...
I have so many fond food memories...


Do any foods bring back bad memories?

Not really...

Do any foods remind you of someone?

Sure...too many to list.

Is there a food you refuse to eat?

Not really, although I really don't understand the fascination with sea urchin.


What was your favorite food as a child?

Pizza

Is there a food that you hated as a child but now love?

Raw tomatoes, but they have to be RIPE!

Is there a food that you loved as a child but now hate?

Nope.

Favorite fruit?

Cherimoya, but a simple juicy orange will do. Blackberries, marionberries, loganberries, raspberries, blueberries, WILD strawberries, pears, mango, the list goes on...

Favorite vegetable?

Asparagus...and fennel

Favorite junk food?

Chocolate

Favorite between meal snack?

Chocolate

Do you have any weird food habits?

Not really, but when I was a kid I used to poke one piece of macaroni onto each tine of the fork (through the hole) and then eat it.

You're on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on?

Veggies, fish, pasta (screw the low/no-carb crap)

You're off your diet. Now what would you like?

Flourless chocolate torte please...

How spicy do you order Indian/Thai?

Medium to hot depending on the restaurant. I know enough not to order "Thai hot" or "Indian hot"...I've learned my lesson.

Can I get you a drink?

Yes please! How about a margarita made with Herradura or Centenario Anejo, Countreau, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup on the rocks? No salt!

Red wine or white?

Yes please! Red if I must pick one, shiraz if I must pick one varietal, Australian if I must choose country, McLaren Vale or Barossa if I must choose appelation. Thanks for asking.

We only have beer:

Depends on the weather and the food I'm having. Guinness will always do (room temperature), a spicy IPA in the summer, a Coopers Ale always does the trick, or a Belgian Lambic if I'm feeling naughty.

Favorite dessert?

All of them on one plate please. Flourless chocolate cake is always great, good key lime pie, blackberry cobbler, great carrot cake (Traffic Jam & Snug), Carlotta Chocolatta (Traffic Jam & Snug), the chocolate trio at Cuisine (especially the chocolate ice cream with habanero), the donut sundae at Zingerman's Roadhouse, Toll House chocolate chip cookies, the apple tart at Les Halles, assorted cheeses, Pavlova. They're all good.

The perfect nightcap?

B&B, Grand Marnier, Armagnac, grappa, Kirsch. Depends on the night.

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eggs are awesome.

Strong coffee with cream, no sugar.

Crunchy peanut butter rules.

I don't drink soda. Only water or wine.

Pizza with fresh tomatoes & basil.

I make a killer risotto.

When I was a kid, I thought mushrooms were gross. Now I love them.

I love Brussels sprouts.

-Di

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home