Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Short and sweet and sour post with Asian-ish soup...a sticky situation.

Yesterday there was quite a bit of stuff that I wanted to post about, but I was too dang lazy to do it. Today I'm still feeling a bit lazy and I've forgotten most of the stuff I was going to post about. That's sorry news for you the consumer.

I really don't feel like posting right now but I feel obligated to write something.

I made a pretty kick-ass soup yesterday. That's something. I didn't know what to cook yesterday, but I've been wanting to use this new uber-soy sauce that I recently got from the Grateful Palate catalog. I went to Westborn market and picked up some produce and assorted proteins and figured that I'd go for a soup. It's an amalgamation of Thai, Vietnamese, and Chinese ingredients and flavors. I was completely just screwing around and the result was pretty kickin'. I started by marininating some thin sliced raw chicken breast and center-cut pork chops in the soy sauce, lime juice, and Saracha hot sauce and then coated the pieces with some cornstarch. I got some peanut oil hot in a big pot and then added some red curry paste and then the meat. I sauteed for a while and then I removed the meat and added chopped garlic, fresh ginger, and finger hot peppers for about a minute. I then added red pepper, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, snow peas, scallions, baby bok choy, and a little more soy sauce. I let the steam naturally deglaze the pan a little bit and added a can of coconut milk to finish the job. I then returned the meat to the pot and added both chicken and vegetable stock as well as a few stems of fresh lemon grass as well as a bit more Saracha. I brought it to a boil and then dropped it to a simmer as I added Chinese wide noodles, a handful of fresh chiffonaded basil, and a whole bunch (green part) of scallions and let the dish finish itself off. DELICIOUS!!!

I've been wanting to try the new Haagen-Dazs flavor called Mayan Chocolate for a while now and we finally got some in the store. YUM!! It's chocolate ice cream with a fudge swirl and a hint of cinnamon. It's pretty tasty, but I'm a big fan of Mexican hot chocolate and chocolate spiced with assorted chiles. I'm also anxious for the release of the new Sticky Toffee Pudding flavor. There was a special on the Food Network about a contest to choose a new flavor. Sticky Toffee Pudding was the winning submission and it sounds darn good to me.

I can't believe the surviving competitors on Hell's Kitchen. Last year's crew was MUCH, MUCH better. I wouldn't give a restaurant away to ANYBODY this season.

I'm very convinced and glad to pronounce that Reno 911! is the funniest show on TV...3 years in a row.

Too lazy to post anything else right now. Sorry.

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Soup sounds pretty good, but would have been better without all that protein. ;-)

Have you had the Aztec Hot Chocolate from Champlain? Has cayenne pepper in it and yikes, is it YUMMY!!!

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home