Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I bless the rains down in Africa, but I hate Toto...but I gotta love 'em for writing a song about Rosanna Arquette

Sorry for the post title. This will be another short one...

I did in fact receive Tsotsi from Netflix today and I did indeed watch it tonight. It was really very well done. It's a dark and bittersweet redemption story set in Johannesburg, South Africa. I very highly recommended it, but you have to be in the mood for it. Although it's largely redemptive and optimistic it's still very hard to take. Great movie! Add it to your queue... I was impressed that I actually got it in the mail from Netflix on its release day.

In other African news...
One of my favorite customers recently returned safely from Ghana. She works for an airline and had to go investigate some goings-on for the company. She would spend 4-5 days in London then 4-5 days in Ghana and repeat for a month. She said that conditions in Ghana were indeed very poor and the poverty was extreme, but the people were very friendly and hopeful. She was lucky enough to stay in some nicer hotels, but did experience the real Ghana first hand. She said that it was a tough experience and that corruption is rampant on every level, but the people were wonderful and the jungle and cities were beautiful. A bittersweet trip really... I'm just very glad for her safe return. Would you believe that her camera was stolen in Detroit before her trip started? Sure you would. I love to hear her stories of world travel. She usually does a big trip every other year. Her trips have included Nepal, India, and Sri Lanka (separately). She went to Sri Lanka after the tsunami for two weeks. She enjoyed herself for a week and volunteered for another week. That's a pretty damn admirable thing to do. She vacations with a purpose. That's pretty awesome...


I ended up in a conversation with some folks about "disturbing" or "f'ed up" movies the other day. I think that the perfect trifecta of absolutely disturbing films (disturbing = movies that make you feel dirty or uncomfortable or make you squirm in your seat) are...
Pink Flamingos - John Waters at his trashiest. Vile. I love it! Starring the divine Divine! The scary thing is that it doesn't make me feel as dirty as the next two...and that says A LOT!

Happiness - Creepy, creepy, creepy. Makes you want to crawl out of your skin. Thanks again Todd Solondz!

Gummo - Just plain old f'ed up! White trash at their mulletest! WTF?!? From the f'ed up mind of Harmony Korine. It makes more sense than Julien Donkey-Boy.

Now, if this says anything I actually own all three of these films. Please don't hate me...

Random poll- What are the most disturbing films that you've seen? (Waterworld or the Care Bears Movie do not count)

That's all for now...

Cheers,
Jason

3 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

What are the most disturbing films that you've seen?

Schindler's List
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
Pink Flamingoes
Bambi Goes Crazy Eight Bonkers With His Drill and Sex (For you Young Ones fans)

8:15 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I avoid disturbing films. When I lived in SF, we were watching Pink Flamingos, when Julius suddenly stopped the tape and said, "Um, no, I don't think so." Eric and I decided to trust him since we weren't enjoying the movie up to that point anyway.

I had heard that The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover was not good, so I avoided it.

Ah, Delicatessen. Hated that friggin' movie.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I own Kids too. I saw it in the theater and half of the people walked out. I think it's a great movie actually. Killer soundtrack! Harmony Korine (who wrote and directed Gummo) wrote Kids too. Chloe Sevigny and Rosario Dawson rose from Kids to be respectable stars. Kids has nothing on Gummo...really. It's pretty messed up.

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home