Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Always use protection...things may get sticky.

A pretty funny thing happened at work today. But first I've got to give you a little bit of set-up.

There is a type of dessert wine called ice wine (Eiswein). It is made from shriveled grapes that are frozen on the vine. The grapes that survive rot, disease, and birds that are still hanging on the vine into the first major freeze are picked and then crushed while still frozen. The resultant wine is very rich, very sweet, sticky, and traditionally expensive. There are some ice wines that "cheat" mother nature that are more affordable. These are made essentially by freezing the juice of ultra-ripe grapes to separate the ice crystals and to make a rich, concentrated wine. One of the nicknames for these wines is "cryogenic" because of the obvious connotations. When helping customers with ice wines I usually explain how they are made and personally usually call the "fake" ice wines "cryogenic" ice wines. There's your very short version of ice wine and the set-up to today's quick story...

I was placing my order with one of my wholesale wine reps today. I was sitting facing the wine department and he was sitting facing me. An older woman (mid 70's started to walk up and then she spoke.
"Excuse me. I'm looking for an ice wine. You sold one to me before. It was very good. It's not as expensive as some of the other ice wines. I think it's one of those prophylactic ice wines."
I held a straight face and my rep buried his face in his hands. I got up and started walking over to the dessert wines and said, "Sure. The cryogenic ice wines are over here. We have the Selaks from New Zealand. It's a blend of riesling and gewurztraminer. It's actually quite good for the price ($19.99/375ml). We also have the Bonny Doon Vin de Glaciere made from muscat from California ($17.99/375ml). It's pretty nice also."
"Which do you prefer?"
"Well...actually I'd probably have to say the Selaks. It's quite good."
"Thank you. I'll take it. Thank you so much for your help."
"You're welcome. I hope that you enjoy it. Have a great day!"

She walked toward the cashier as I returned to my seat. My sales rep was silent. He then asked if she was still behind him. I said that she was gone and we both started cracking the hell up. That helped brighten a dreary day. I wonder what she had on her mind???

True story.

There's another quick and funny wine story that sticks in my head. I was in Chicago once and was speaking to our waiter at Bin 36 about wine. He mentioned that his roommate worked at Binny's (a popular wine store). He said that there was once a customer who couldn't remember the name of Veuve Clicquot champagne. She came in looking for the "Velvet Chiclet". It may not be funny to you but it cracks my ass up. I'll never forget a name like that...

Have a great day!

Cheers,
Jason

Have a great day!

Cheers,
Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Ah, Veuve...so lovely.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home