Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Random stuff and the top 75 songs to dance to...

I hope that everyone had a great Martin Luther King Day. I know that a lot of people had the day off. No such luck for me.

I watched the first half of the Ken Burns special on Jack Johnson (the first black heavyweight boxing champion) on PBS tonight. It was very well done. I can't wait to watch the second half tomorrow.

I went out to dinner last night with friends in Livonia and afterward we decided to stop by the new Caribou Coffee that just opened. It was empty except for one person when we got there. We were eyeing the comfortable couch seating by the fireplace as we placed our order, when all of a sudden three young college-aged girls came in and sat down in the couch area. One of them had a Starbucks coffee in her hand and the other two didn't order anything in the approximately 45 minutes they were there. I'm sorry, but those girls deserve to be slapped. It was a good thing Bruce Banner wasn't there.

I also noticed last night that it was a beautiful, clear, starry night. I don't notice that much these days. The Big Dipper was right there ready for me to grab so that I might ladle something. I often forget how much it sucks to live near the big city because of light pollution. I really haven't noticed the night sky since I was in Coonawarra gazing at the Southern Cross. It was kind of odd in the southern hemisphere in that I would look for the Big Dipper as a reference point, but it wasn't there.

There's been more terrorism talk and fear mongering in the news lately. The latest paranoia is that terrorists may place bombs in limos during the Presidential inauguration. The experts attribute this to the fact that they're big and have tinted glass. I hope that only one limo blows up, if you know what I mean.

I caught a little downhill ski racing on CBC late last night from Wengen (Winterthur) in Switzerland. That was fun. I'm not a skier (I went cross-country skiing once in Oregon), but I love to watch ski racing. My mom and I always had a special bond watching cooking shows or ski racing when I was a kid. Being Swiss, I've always been a big fan of the Swiss skiers. The sound of cowbells cheering the locals on is always invigorating. They were hitting speeds of over 150km/hr! That's insane! There was a Swiss skier whose first name I didn't catch, but his last name was Zurbriggen. He must the son of Pirmin Zurbriggen (one of the greatest downhill skiers of all time and my personal favorite). It was fun to watch as the only skiing I've seen in the last few years has been at the Winter Olympics.

Okay. Here it is. Here is a list of the top 75 songs to dance to "back in the day". I certainly don't listen to as much goth and industrial as I used to (with exceptions), but these are the songs that either made me want to dance or even actually do it. These songs stick out from my years of hanging out at 3-D and the Sardine Bar. My friend, the infamous DJ Davo, was responsible for my occasional lapses in judgement. I loved to dance, but didn't have the energy to dance all night like my friend Kathleen. ;) However, any of these songs may have prompted me to get my ass out on the floor and make a fool of myself. Here are 75 songs in no particular order...

1. Swamp Thing - Chameleons
2. Can U Dig It? - Pop Will Eat Itself
3. Cocaine Sex - Renegade Soundwave
4. Theme From S Express - S Express
5. Pump Up the Volume - M/A/R/R/S
6. The Queen Is Dead - Smiths
7. Join In the Chant - Nitzer Ebb
8. Headhunter - Front 242
9. Marian - Sisters of Mercy
10. Killing Joke - Eighties
11. Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell
12. Major Tom (Coming Home) - Peter Schilling
13. Wonderful Life - Black
14. Atmosphere - Joy Division
15. Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
16. Dead Souls - Joy Division
17. Transmission - Joy Division
18. This Corrosion - Sisters of Mercy
19. Warlock - Skinny Puppy
20. Moonchild - Fields of the Nephilim
21. Crucify Me - MOEV
22. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Specimen
23. I Walk the Line - Alien Sex Fiend
24. Beating My Head - Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry
25. Don't Go - Yaz
26. Desperate, But Not Serious - Adam and the Ants
27. Madam Butterfly - Malcolm McLaren
28. Let Me Go - Heaven 17
29. Fascination - Human League
30. Thieves - Ministry
31. Bela Lugosi's Dead - Bauhaus
32. Cuts You Up - Peter Murphy
33. Promise - OMD
34. Assimilate - Skinny Puppy
35. Red Right Hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
36. Stigmata Martyr - Bauhaus
37. Sound and Vision - David Bowie
38. Dogs of Lust - The The
39. Don't Fall - Chameleons
40. Eloise - The Damned
41. The Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight - Dominatrix
42. Supernaut - 1000 Homo DJs
43. Every Day is Halloween - Ministry
44. Burning Inside - Ministry
45. Pretty in Pink - Psychedelic Furs
46. Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs
47. This Is Not a Love Song - Public Image Limited
48. Christine - Siouxsie and the Banshees
49. Spellbound - Siouxsie and the Banshees
50. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - Smiths
51. What Difference Does It Make? - Smiths
52. I Got You - Split Enz
53. Suck - Pigface
54. Fuck It Up - Pigface
55. I Sit On Acid - Lords of Acid
56. Virus - KMFDM
57. Whisper To a Scream - Icicle Works
58. I Love the World - New Model Army
59. Alice - Sisters of Mercy
60. 1969 - Sisters of Mercy
61. Go! - Tones on Tail
62. Ball of Confusion - Love and Rockets
63. I Wanna Be Adored - Stone Roses
64. Dawnrazor - Fields of the Nephilim
65. You Spin Me - Dead or Alive
66. Sing, Sing, Sing - Benny Goodman
67. This Corrosion - Sisters of Mercy
68. Black Planet - Sisters of Mercy
69. A Daisy Chain 4 Satan - Thrill Kill Kult
70. Down in the Park - Gary Numan
71. Cars - Gary Numan
72. Lips Like Sugar - Echo and the Bunnymen
73. Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds
74. Let's Dance - David Bowie
75. Naked Rain - This Picture

There's a lot more songs that deserve to be on this list, but these are the ones that came to me pretty quickly. It could be a lot bigger if I put more thought into it. I used to dance to this stuff "back in the day", or I'd at least drink to it. Who am I kidding? I mostly drank to it. I probably covered Kimmy, Tammy, Michael, and John's bills with my tips. Those were fun days. I'd probably have a lot more money today if I hadn't gone clubbing, but I met a lot of wonderful people and had a ball.
Tip your bartender!

Today's wine recommendation- Bass Ale (a tip of the hat to the 3-D days)

Cheers,
Jason


2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Holy shit, Jason! That list fucking ROCKS!!! I had completely forgotten about Kiss Kiss Bang Bang! I LOVE THAT SONG! And Wonderful Life by Black. *sigh* I'll have to drag my Black CDs out. Haven't listened to them in a long time. One question though, why'd you put Killing Joke first and Eighties second - completely reverse of how you did the rest of the list? Trying to weed out the white Ked, pink sweater wearing wienies? Shit, I want to go dancing at 3-D and have Davo play those songs!!!!!!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Hi Kathleen,
I just f'ed up on that one. Pure and simple.
Jason

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home