Friday, December 30, 2005

Just like the old days, but older...

It's late and I'm tired, but I did something tonight I haven't done in a looooonnng-ass time. I closed a bar. And not just any bar mind you, but my old hangout. It was my good friend Davo's birthday. Davo DJ's at a club in Royal Oak called Luna on Thursday nights. I haven't been there since its last incarnation...The Groove Room. I used to be a regular there on Wednesdays when it used to be called 3D. It's probably been about 8 or 9 years since I've stepped in the building. The last time I was there was for a 3D reunion party (I think). It's changed a bit. It's less dank and dirty and the crowd is much younger...or I'm just older. Thursday nights are "80's Night" at Luna. The music was good, but completely adventurous as the crowd was all born in the 80's and wouldn't recognize any of the obscure tracks. The club now even has "80's dancers". They were all born in the 80's (barely). A couple of them look as if they're used to spinning around a pole (based on their moves). All in all a good time was had. I even won a drink (a Long Island) for knowing the name of Cyndi Lauper's first band (Blue Angel). Does that make me gay? Does owning their album on vinyl make me even gayer? Don't answer that. It was nice to see some friends and especially to see Davo spinning again. He still rules the DJ booth! It's not the same as the old days...it never is...but it was certainly nice to reminisce. I miss the old days of 3D. I miss the old school folk...
Michael, Tammy, Kimmi, Tom, John, John, Dan, Toothless Jim, Bubba, Skunk Jeff, Skinny Puppy guy, Phil, Amir, Cheryl...

Those were some great times. I'll elaborate on those some other time (remind me). I think that I've mentioned it before. I used to spend a lot of time and money there. I probably paid for Tammy and Kimmi's car payments with my tips. Those were the days...the days of finding money in all of your pockets the next day. It was always initially disappointing to see how much money was left in my wallet, but then I'd find some money in my jacket or pants...BONUS!

I may actually even find my way back on a Thursday night even though I probably won't hear any Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Black, Specimen, S-Express, Renegade Soundwave, Alien Sex Fiend, etc. I had a good time. I miss the old days, but I know that those days are over. The chances of me returning to my old club lifestyle are just about as good as Benny and the Jets making it big beyond Dearborn Heights/Garden City/Inkster/Westland and them moving out of their parents' houses to become international superstars that don't have to advertise their shows on the sides of vans or pieces of particle board nailed to electric poles, but who knows???

Cheers,
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home