I had quite a quandry this evening. The AFI Top 100 Movie Quotes
thing was on this evening as well as an episode of House
that I hadn't seen yet. I ended up watching the AFI
thing and taping House
and Reno 911
. The AFI
thing was 3 hours long! No big surprises. Casablanca
had lots of lines in the Top 100 (no big surprise), and also Gone with the Wind
. I guessed right on a lot of the lines, and forgot about a few. I'd have to say that the list seems fairly accurate. Here's the list...
1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," Gone with the Wind, 1939.
2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse," The Godfather, 1972.
3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is
what I am," On the Waterfront, 1954.
4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore," "The Wizard of Oz, 1939.
5. "Here's looking at you, kid," Casablanca, 1942.
6. "Go ahead, make my day," Sudden Impact, 1983.
7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up," Sunset Boulevard, 1950.
8. "May the Force be with you," Star Wars, 1977.
9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night," All About Eve, 1950.
10. "You talking to me?" "Taxi Driver, 1976.
11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate," Cool Hand Luke, 1967.
12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning," Apocalypse Now, 1979.
13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry," Love Story, 1970.
14. "The stuff that dreams are made of," The Maltese Falcon, 1941.
15. "E.T. phone home," E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, 1982.
16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!", In the Heat of the Night, 1967.
17. "Rosebud," Citizen Kane, 1941.
18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!", White Heat, 1949.
19. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!", Network, 1976.
20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," Casablanca, 1942.
21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti," The Silence of the Lambs, 1991.
22. "Bond. James Bond," Dr. No, 1962.
23. "There's no place like home," The Wizard of Oz, 1939.
24. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small," Sunset Boulevard, 1950.
25. "Show me the money!", Jerry Maguire, 1996.
26. "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?", She Done Him Wrong, 1933.
27. "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!", Midnight Cowboy, 1969.
28. "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By,' " Casablanca, 1942.
29. "You can't handle the truth!", A Few Good Men, 1992.
30. "I want to be alone," Grand Hotel, 1932.
31. "After all, tomorrow is another day!", Gone with the Wind, 1939.
32. "Round up the usual suspects," Casablanca, 1942.
33. "I'll have what she's having," When Harry Met Sally..., 1989.
34. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow," To Have and Have Not, 1944.
35. "You're gonna need a bigger boat," Jaws, 1975.
36. "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!", The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, 1948.
37. "I'll be back," The Terminator, 1984.
38. "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth," The Pride of the Yankees, 1942.
39. "If you build it, he will come," Field of Dreams, 1989.
40. "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get," Forrest Gump, 1994.
41. "We rob banks," Bonnie and Clyde, 1967.
42. "Plastics," The Graduate, 1967.
43. "We'll always have Paris," Casablanca, 1942.
44. "I see dead people," The Sixth Sense, 1999.
45. "Stella! Hey, Stella!", A Streetcar Named Desire, 1951.
46. "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars," Now, Voyager, 1942.
47. "Shane. Shane. Come back!", Shane, 1953.
48. "Well, nobody's perfect," Some Like It Hot, 1959.
49. "It's alive! It's alive!", Frankenstein, 1931.
50. "Houston, we have a problem," Apollo 13, 1995.
51. "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?", Dirty Harry, 1971.
52. "You had me at 'hello,' " Jerry Maguire, 1996.
53. "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know," Animal Crackers, 1930.
54. "There's no crying in baseball!", A League of Their Own, 1992.
55. "La-dee-da, la-dee-da," Annie Hall, 1977.
56. "A boy's best friend is his mother," Psycho, 1960.
57. "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good," Wall Street, 1987.
58. "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer," The Godfather Part II, 1974.
59. "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again," Gone with the Wind, 1939.
60. "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!", Sons of the Desert, 1933.
61. "Say 'hello' to my little friend!", Scarface, 1983.
62. "What a dump," Beyond the Forest, 1949.
63. "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?", The Graduate, 1967.
64. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!", Dr. Strangelove, 1964.
65. "Elementary, my dear Watson," The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, 1929.
66. "Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape," Planet of the Apes, 1968.
67. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine," Casablanca, 1942.
68. "Here's Johnny!", The Shining, 1980.
69. "They're here!", Poltergeist, 1982.
70. "Is it safe?", Marathon Man, 1976.
71. "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!", The Jazz Singer, 1927.
72. "No wire hangers, ever!", Mommie Dearest, 1981.
73. "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?", Little Caesar, 1930.
74. "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown," Chinatown, 1974.
75. "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers," A Streetcar Named Desire, 1951.
76. "Hasta la vista, baby," Terminator 2: Judgment Day, 1991.
77. "Soylent Green is people!", Soylent Green, 1973.
78. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL," 2001: A Space Odyssey, 1968.
79. Striker: "Surely you can't be serious." Rumack: "I am serious...and don't call me Shirley," Airplane!, 1980.
80. "Yo, Adrian!", Rocky, 1976.
81. "Hello, gorgeous," Funny Girl, 1968.
82. "Toga! Toga!", National Lampoon's Animal House, 1978.
83. "Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make," Dracula, 1931.
84. "Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast," King Kong, 1933.
85. "My precious," The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, 2002.
86. "Attica! Attica!", Dog Day Afternoon, 1975.
87. "Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!", 42nd Street, 1933.
88. "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!", On Golden Pond, 1981.
89. "Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper," Knute Rockne, All American, 1940.
90. "A martini. Shaken, not stirred," Goldfinger, 1964.
91. "Who's on first," The Naughty Nineties, 1945.
92. "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a miracle... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!", Caddyshack, 1980.
93. "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!", Auntie Mame, 1958.
94. "I feel the need--the need for speed!", Top Gun, 1986.
95. "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary," Dead Poets Society, 1989.
96. "Snap out of it!", Moonstruck, 1987.
97. "My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you," Yankee Doodle Dandy, 1942.
98. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," Dirty Dancing, 1987.
99. "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!", The Wizard of Oz, 1939.
100. "I'm king of the world!", Titanic, 1997.
Only one line from Caddyshack
and Animal House
, and none from Say Anything
or The Princess Bride
...what a crime! No lines from Long Duck Dong ("No more yanky my wanky - the Donger need food!") in Sixteen Candles
or Duckie in Pretty in Pink
? No Mel Brooks?
I also watched House
immediately afterward...great f'in show!!! This week's episode involved a sick nun. It took them a while to figure it out. Turns out that she was allergic to copper and had had a copper IUD inside her for 20 years and forgot about it. Reno 911
is still probably the funniest show on TV. Hilarious!!!
I had a strange random thought...I haven't had an Orange Julius in almost 20 years. I haven't had one since I moved from the west coast. I could really go for one right now. They're almost as good as Coke slurpees.
I'm still waiting for my 512MB card for my new camera that I ordered from Dell. The site shows that I received it, but indeed I did not. I communicated with someone and they were giving me shit about receiving it, but hopefully it's been resolved as a request for replacement has been made. The person that I "chatted" with is obviously outsourced from India (making her English much better than mine), but I don't know how well they can truly grasp how things work in the US and how lazy Americans can be. Hopefully I'll get it soon. If I don't get in time for my vacation, I'll have to go out and buy one. I like the idea of being able to take lots and lots o' pics.
I was flipping through channels and I saw a trailer for a TV show using the Bangles' cover of "Hazy Shade of Winter". That's a great, great cover version. Still sounds as good now as it did in Less Than Zero
. Great movie too! James Spader, Robert Downey Jr., Andrew McCarthy, and the incredibly hot 80's girl Jami Gertz?!?!? That's almost too much to handle. It's kind of scary how Robert Downey Jr.'s performance early on mirrored his own future so closely.
I'm so excited!!! I found a copy of Pelle the Conqueror
on DVD for $7.99! It had been out of print and I've heard that there may be a Criterion Edition available, but I was thrilled to find this copy. Pelle the Conqueror
is one of the finest films that I have ever seen. Max von Sydow
gives a brilliant performance. He is truly one of the world's acting greats! This definitely goes beyond his work with Bergman. In finding his link I discovered that he just filmed a version of Heidi
with himself as the grandfather. I can't think of a better person for the role, except for the fact that he's Swedish and not Swiss. I seem to love a lot of Nordic films. There's just a certain quirkiness, innocence, or darkness to them that make them intriquing. Some of my faves are Pelle the Conqueror
, My Life as a Dog
(great f'in movie!), Babette's Feast
, and Antonia's Line
...and on the subject of Swedes playing Swiss. Do you remember the old Swiss Miss commercials? The "Swiss" Miss spoke with a Swedish accent, not any of Switzerland's four national languages
(German, French, Italian, and Rhaeto-Rumantsch). Swiss = Swiztzerland and Swedish = Sweden. Get it folks?
Work...still sucking donkey vomit. Sometimes I really, really hate my job. I love what I do and I think I'm pretty good at it, it's just that the people I work for have no respect for their employees. Also I have a quarterly project that is due this weekend (a wine club). It's a gigantic pain in the ass, especially as I really don't get much help. I'll probably have to go in early on Thursday and put in 12 or 13 hours or so to get things done. Work is a hemorrhoid on the ass of life and my bosses (owner and store manager) need a suppository or something less pleasant shoved up their asses.
Random poll- Which movie is more quotable? Caddyshack
, History of the World Part I
, or Monty Python and the Holy Grail