Sunday, June 17, 2007

Do you have a permit for that lemonade stand?

Hey kids,

This weather sucks! I'm schvitzing! I had to do an in-home wine tasting last night and it was held in the sun porch. It was hotter in the sun porch than it was outside! I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and tie and everybody at the event was pretty casual. It was rough, but eventually the wine tasting portion was moved inside because it was unbearable in the sun porch. Most of the people were chilling by the pool. Other than the unbearable heat and humidity the rest of the event was just fine.

Driving to the event yesterday I noticed a lemonade stand on the side of the road (on Telegraph...not the best place for a lemonade stand). As far as I could gather it looked like assorted flavors of Kool-Aid in pitchers and bottled water. It takes me back to a simpler time. I remember when a few of us kids from our apartment complex made a piece of crap stand out of scrap wood from the neighboring field. We pulled our money together and walked to the Plaid Pantry (a nearby convenience store)and bought some powdered lemonade mix. I think we lost money on the deal. Nobody seemed to want cold, refreshing lemonade. What was up with that? It was hot out that day. So...I noticed the bottled water and assorted Kool-Aids and sort of smiled. I miss the innocent days of my youth. I didn't notice, however, anyone manning the table. It was just sitting out there for anyone to take. Was this some sort of Jonestown trickery? I'm sure the kids were just inside because it was TOO FRICKIN' HOT TO BE OUTSIDE! But then I also got to thinking about laws and such. Do you need a permit to run a lemonade stand (or a $.05 psychiatric stand)? I'm sure you do, but I'm sure that cops and city officials look the other way when it's run by kids. I could just imagine an official from this fair city shutting down a lemonade stand with extreme prejudice. If kids get away with it could I? I could always use some extra cash. I should start a lemonade stand on the front lawn. There's a fair amount of foot and vechicle traffic. I could charge more to add vodka. How about a refreshing Pimm's Cup? I'm sure they'd cart my ass away. I'm really surprised in this day and age that the kids aren't being hauled off either. Anyway, kudos to young entrepreneurship! Just don't drink the purple Kool-Aid...

Last week I Netflixed the original The Ladykillers from 1955 starring Sir Alec Guinness, Herbert Lom, and Peter Sellers. What a great film! I clicked on the Biography link for Alec Guinness and read something pretty fascinating about him. Did you know that he was the first Allied soldier to land on Sicily during World War II? His boat landed accidentally landed an hour before all the others. Very interesting. I think I'm getting Kind Hearts and Coronets soon from my queue...

I also just watched a great documentary on the American Hardcore scene appropriately called American Hardcore. It was very well done and covered the whole scene inclucing Black Flag, SSD, DRI, Negative Approach, Necros, 7 Seconds, Minor Threat, TSOL, Circle Jerks, Jerry's Kids, Flipper, Teen Idles, Wasted Youth, Cro-Mags, Bad Brains, SOA, DOA, MDC, Adolescents, Descendents, Big Boys, DYS, Battalion of Saints, Poison Idea, and many others. It was pretty cool to hear some of the interviews. Regretfully I'm too young to have seen any of these bands the first time around...

I also watched a really good documentary on the Minutemen called We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen. Very cool! It's a shame that D. Boon died so early. At least Mike Watt is still around and one of the greatest bass players ever!

I went to Farmer Jack the other day and all seafood was 50% off and all frozen food was 20% off. I loaded up on some frozen shrimp and a few other odds and ends. I went back today and the frozen food is now 30% off. Nice! It should be going to half-off soon. I also went to the new Meijer in AP for the first time. It was crazy busy but it's a nice store. I guess I'll drive a little further to shop at Meijer rather than shop at the kraptastic Kroger. They have a lot more food! I think it's kind of funny that it's a bit of a workout to leave. You have to push your loaded shopping cart uphill to your car in the lot. I'm going to miss Farmer Jack, but I'll cope...

Something very good finally happened at work. Things should be getting better, but not without a challenge. At least we finally have something to smile about.

The wine distribution system in Michigan is currently in a MAJOR tizzy. It's really F'ed up! The monopoly is on its way. The big boys are moving in and it's going to get even uglier. I'm so confused...


Thursday, June 14, 2007

B.A.D.D.- Blog Attention Deficit Disorder (Really random crap)

Hey kids!

This will be short. Verlander had a no-hitter for the Tigers last night and that's pretty frickin' sweet. Unfortunately I didn't find out about it until this morning as I didn't watch the game yesterday. Way to go Justin!

Another great piece from Jack Lessenberry here on the privately-owned, crumbling Ambassador Bridge.

Here's a hilarious site...
...just what it says.

I just read something about product-placement in film and that Ford has 41% of vehicle placement in recent movies. I think it's sort of funny that it was a Ford that ran over Phil Leotardo's head in the last episode of The Sopranos.

You Are Chardonnay

Fresh, spirited, and classic - you have many facets to your personality.
You can be sweet and light. Or deep and complex.
You have a little bit of something to offer everyone... no wonder you're so popular.
Approachable and never smug, you are easy to get to know (and love!).

Deep down you are: Dependable and modest

Your partying style: Understated and polite

Your company is enjoyed best with: Cold or wild meat

And I thought for sure I'd be shiraz...

You are Milk Chocolate

A total dreamer, you spend most of your time with your head in the clouds.
You often think of the future, and you are always working toward your ideal life.
Also nostalgic, you rarely forget a meaningful moment... even those from long ago.

What an insult! I'm definitely dark. At least I'm not white chocolate.

I watched For Your Consideration last night. It was certainly good and funny, but not Christopher Guest's best work. Parker Posey always pleases...

The new season of Top Chef looks like it could be pretty good. The caliber of contestants seems to be higher this time around. I can't believe that I've eaten more of the crazy ingredients than the chefs have...

Too lazy/tired to actually THINK of anything to write today...


Sunday, June 10, 2007

"Aaaarrrrggghh!" and "Deep sigh..."

Hey kids!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've either been too busy, too tired, or been watching season finales. Rather than try to recount everything I've done (nothing too darn exciting), I'll pretty much start anew unless I remember some random crap.

The title of this post is in reference to the series finale of The Sopranos. I'm sad that the greatest TV show ever created (other than M*A*S*H) is over. It was a great run. But why did they have to leave you hanging like that? Without any real resolution? It's like Lucy Van Pelt pulling the football away from Charlie f'in Brown. At least the show wasn't the dream of an autistic boy looking at a snow globe of St. Eligius Hospital (WTF was that?!?). Thanks for 8 years of "great fuckin' ziti"!

I'm really sore and tired. I was fine all day until I sat down for the first time (about 7:30). Now I can barely walk. Today we held a big yearly tasting and it kicks my ass every year. Lots of set up and tear down. Eight hours of hauling 8' foot tables on my back, hauling other stuff, and keeping people happy and imbibed. Another grand 10 hour day on my day off. At least it's over until next year.

There's going to be a great change happening at work soon. We're all looking forward to it. Although I hate the song "The Final Countdown" by Europe I feel it's appropriate at this time. Things should get better soon. It will still be a challenge, of course, but there should at least be something to work for. I'll leave it at that for now...


I went to another Tiger's game a few weeks ago (against St. Louis). Great game (9-6)! Great seats! Great time!

Knocked Up is hilarious!!! Go see it!

Pan's Labyrinth was very good, but I don't understand the uber-hype. This Film Film Is Not Yet Rated is a must see documentary on the MPAA!!! Do yourself a favor and see it. You may be surprised about a lot of things! Nudity/homosexuality bad! Extreme violence/bad language awesome! Bloody Romsfeldian Puritans!

The restaurant has been pretty flippin' busy on Friday nights. That's a good thing.

I was watching a Netflix copy of Children of Men and was enjoying it until the disc started skipping 3/4 of the way through it. I reported the problem and but didn't re-order it right away to watch it. I'll have to remember to re-add it to my queue and put it near the top.

The wine distribution system in Michigan right now is in a major tizzy. It's a bloody awful mess. Big business looks like it's going to win again. I imagine that there will be two or three distributors left in the next five years (rather than the approximately 20 I buy from now). None of this mega-national distributors had a hold on wine in Michigan until recently. Monopolies are going to be the death of us.

Dubya can still sit and spin! ITMFA!

That's all for now...I'm tired.


Random poll- What was your favorite treat from the ice cream truck when you were a kid?

Random poll #2- Favorite TV show of all time?

Random poll #3- How long before we see a prison-sex video or vajajay shot of Paris Hilton in jail?

Random poll #4- When are they going to open a damn Sonic in Michigan? The commercials drive me nuts.